Author Topic: Strange Virus Scan Results??!  (Read 9039 times)

rikki438

Strange Virus Scan Results??!
« on: April 20, 2004, 11:48:18 PM »
Hi....

I recently ran Avast Home V4.1 up to date scanners and it did not detect viruses whereas I ran the Symantec Online Security Check and it told me I have these viruses:-

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svcinfo.exe is infected with Trojan Horse  
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe is infected with Trojan Horse  
C:\Documents and Settings\Rick Press\My Documents\My Received Files\i like it doggy style.scr is infected with MSN.Flooder  

Trend Micro Scanner - online one didnt pick up any viruses either like Avast cany anyone tell me what this means?

Rick

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Strange Virus Scan Results??!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 11:57:28 PM »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

whocares

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:37:43 AM »
and please send in the files in a password-protected zip-file to

virus (at) asw (dot) cz

include zip-password and link to this topic in the mailtext

;)

rikki438

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 11:00:44 AM »
I dont have a copy of the Virus Scan anymore.... but basically there was a file I think it was Svcdll.exe or something and there was another....

They were in the virus chest on the system under system files but I did think they were viruses but Avast had picked them up... the only virus alerts I ever have are Windows Trojan.gen alerts...

I ran a trial version of Norton but it couldnt delete them, neither could Avast Home V4.1 but I used www.bitdefender.com online scanner and it managed to successfully remove them.... which I find odd....

rikki438

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 11:50:36 AM »
Ok Norton says the file is Svcinfo.exe and it is in the C:\windows

Virus Status: Safe!
Your computer is free of known viruses and Trojan horses.
Virus Status: Infected!
Your computer is infected with at least one known virus or Trojan horse.

83349 files scanned, 1 file(s) infected on your disk drives.

No viruses were detected in memory.

Your computer is free of known viruses and Trojan horses.  Virus Detection does not check compressed files.

Your computer appears safe for now. If you want to protect your computer from viruses, hackers and privacy threats, upgrade to Norton Internet Security.

The scan was cancelled before finishing. To restart the scan, click here.

Your computer is free of known viruses and Trojan horses.  Virus Detection does not check compressed files.

Your computer appears safe for now. If you want to protect your computer from viruses, hackers and privacy threats, upgrade to Norton Internet Security.

Warning! The scan detected a virus that is active in your computer's memory.
The scan ended to prevent further infection.

You should shut down your computer immediately and restart it with an antivirus rescue disk or similar tool.

Search for the name of the virus(s) listed below on the Symantec Security Response site for removal information.

Note: The scan was cancelled before finishing. There may be more infected files on this computer.

Search for the name of the virus(s) listed below on the Symantec Security Response site for removal information.

A scan has not been run. To start Virus Detection, click here.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svcinfo.exe is infected with Trojan Horse  

Ive sent the file over... what do I do now as Avast 4.1 Home cannot remove it.?

Rick

rikki438

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 12:00:07 PM »
Ok emailed the virus over....

It wasnt picked up with Panda Activescan .....

Dont know what it is or if its damaging my system but dont like sound of it the password for zip file is just:- virus

Cheers

Rick

rikki438

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 12:08:48 PM »
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/syscenter.shtml

Typed the name of the file found on google and found this but for some reason Avast cant remove it .... or could Norton... I tried downloading a 15 day trial of Norton and it could not remove it either....

Does anyone know what I should do?

Rick

whocares

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 12:40:17 PM »
Hi,
boot the PC in SafeMode (F8-Boot) and delete the file manually; then remove the registry-key mentioned on F-Secure (BAckup registry first!)
 ;)

rikki438

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 01:10:49 PM »
How do I access the registry where is it and how do I remove it as I have never done this before?

Also how come Avast was not able to remove this file? Norton could not remove it either? Panda Software and McAfee the lastest builds I downloaded the trial versions to try out did not even pick up this virus on scan..... :-S

Rick

whocares

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 02:55:59 PM »
because no virus scanner picks up everything..

Registry: see the help of Win & regedit, or google
for a start: ClickMe

or just delete the file, and don't edit the registry, or use automated registryCleaners -> Google, or search this board
 ;)