Author Topic: Avast turned off  (Read 7432 times)

Boater

Avast turned off
« on: November 20, 2008, 06:45:48 AM »
Each time I boot up my laptop, running Vista Home Premium, the Windows Security Centre puts up a warning that Avast Anti Virus reports that it is turned off and invites me to turn it on but no matter how many times I click "Turn on now" it doesn't turn on.

Could the AV prog actually be running and if so how do  stop this notice appearing? It has only happened the last four or five times, prior to this all was running OK. I think.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast turned off
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:24:54 PM »
What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

What are you clicking to turn it on ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:11:18 AM »
Which was your old antivirus? How did you remove it?
The best things in life are free.

Boater

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:09:43 PM »

>What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

Running ashDisp.exe

>What are you clicking to turn it on ?

In Windows security centre under virus protection it states that avast is turned off and a button "turn on now". If I click on that I am asked to confirm I want to continue and, until today I would then be advised that I needed permission. Today, after confirming continue there is nothing.

Boater

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
Which was your old antivirus? How did you remove it?

Nothing, brand new laptop, no A?V installed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:33:50 PM »
Some infections disable avast antivirus (Bagle/Beagle).
Maybe an installation from the scratch...

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 04:28:32 PM »

>What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

Running ashDisp.exe

>What are you clicking to turn it on ?

In Windows security centre under virus protection it states that avast is turned off and a button "turn on now". If I click on that I am asked to confirm I want to continue and, until today I would then be advised that I needed permission. Today, after confirming continue there is nothing.

OK follow Tech's suggestion and do a clean reinstall as nothing other than the avast icon (doesn't provide any protection) is running.

When you mention permissions, what type of account are you logged on to when you try to start avast via the WSC interface, Limited or Normal ?

When you install avast as suggested by Teck make sure you are in an account with administrator privileges, you may want to also try right clicking on the avast installation file, setupeng.exe and select Run As, select Administrator and enter the password.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Boater

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »

When you mention permissions, what type of account are you logged on to when you try to start avast via the WSC interface, Limited or Normal ?

Er, yes. Sorry, haven't a clue what this means. I am the only user of this laptop and hopefully have the machines permission to do as I like, but perhaps not.

When you install avast as suggested by Teck make sure you are in an account with administrator privileges,

Um, how would I do that?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »
I don't know if I can explain this very well since you don't understand the concept and are the only user on the system. It depends on how your laptop was setup when you boot, it usually stops with a list of Users and you click your one and again depending on how you have it set-up it may just start without having to type a password.

Limited users aren't allowed to do things like save files in system folders, make changes to the system (that effect other users, doesn't matter if you're the only user), create registry entries, etc. So in a lot of cases this would mean not being able to install some programs.

Normal user is likely to have administrator privileges (but isn't the Administrator) and has the power to do many things, such as those denied to a limited user.

As I said:
try right clicking on the avast installation file, setupeng.exe and select Run As, select Administrator and enter the password

Find where you saved the setupeng.exe file, search using windows explorer and rather than double clicking on the file of icon right click and do what is quoted. You probably haven't got a clue if or what 'The Administrator' password is because you didn't set-up the system, if that is the case I really don't know how to proceed further.

Do you have the UAC pop-up on occasions, if so have you ever had to enter a password ?
If so then that is likely to be the administrator password.

Boater

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »
Thanks to all. I did as suggested and WSC reports A/V running.

Although apparently the prog was not running previously it was quite happy to download updates and presumably update them.

And DavidR, thanks, but still foggy here, but not to worry :-[