Author Topic: Inconsistent Forum search results  (Read 6198 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Inconsistent Forum search results
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:52:12 PM »
I just did a search in the forum for "torpark" without the quotes. 

It returned a list with about six items.  I did the same search immediately again, this time it returned a much longer one page list.  I did the same search immediately again and it returned 2 pages of hits all for the same word. 

It seems that I get a different result every time I enter this word to the search function. 

Anyone else noticing inconsistency in the search function?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Inconsistent Forum search results
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:45:12 AM »
Was that a forum search or an advanced forum search as the first only returns hits in the specific forum but the second returns hits in all forums (if you don't filter any forums).

I just found 1 hit for torpark, searching whilst in this post, so add another bit to your inconsistency (-5 on your 6).

An advanced search all forums no limitations returns 2 pages, 18 hits in all including this topic.

Edit: Did a search after my post and still only got one hit on torpark from a search from this topic/forum.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:48:00 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:46:29 AM »
I've run into this many times.
Usual rule for me has been if at first you don't succeed, try try again.  :'(
I know it shouldn't be that way since we constantly ask new members to use
the forum search function.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:50:52 AM »
It's a very very poor feature of avast forums: inconsistencies, not able to set a default configuration, the "" does not work... it's a disaster...
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:57:16 AM »
David,

I was just using the search box at the top of the avast 4.x Home/Pro forum.  Still inconsistent. 

I would like to be able to use quotes to include special characters like "tor.exe" since just tor and exe produces far too many hits.  I agree with Tech this is a very sub-standard part of the forum software.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:12:18 AM »
I have in the past used the "" quotes with success, I don't know if this has gone walk about with one of the forum software updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sesame

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:29:56 AM »
I wonder if kebucj can do anything about tweaking the given SMF.  If I remember correctly, he wrote that he could only do little about how the boards function.  :-\

Personally, I use Google even when searching the boards.  For example, if you use"site:" command, you can type in search box like below.
Code: [Select]
"torpark" site:forum.avast.comIn this way, you can use advanced search and other search functions offered by Google.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:58:13 AM »
Very handy tip 43 hits for "torpark", unfortunately 10 hits for "tor.exe" http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="tor.exe"+site%3Aforum.avast.com for Alan.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 03:53:38 AM »
Rumpel,

I am grateful for the tip.

David ... Rumpel's tip is far better than the awful search option available in the product used to manage the avast forum.

I had my say, at least I have some other options to help now and I know that the avast team have to make choices in looking for a product to run the forum which involves trade-offs.  They have other full time jobs and I do not want to beat up on them too much over this.  Where I live we are getting into seasonal holiday mood ... I have to go make cranberry sauce.

Sesame

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:31:03 AM »
Glad that I could contribute to the boards finally.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 01:09:02 PM »
I have in the past used the "" quotes with success
Try to use "tor.exe" for instance... it does not pick the exactly words.

"torpark" site:forum.avast.com
Wow... fantastic... a bit complicated to remember and write down, but, anyway, exactly what we want...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »
Well you could do a search using this trick and copy the URL for the tor.exe example (as it only returns a few hits) and save the results as a Bookmark.

No need to type the site:forum.avast.com, just click the saved bookmark and change the tor.exe (or any other search string you used) for what it is you now want to search for.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22tor.exe%22+site%3Aforum.avast.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 10:55:05 PM »
just click the saved bookmark
I'm not following you... can you elaborate?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 11:16:55 PM »
I thought I had, click the link I gave for the google search on "tor.exe" in site forum.avast.com.

When those results are displayed, bookmark the results, in the normal way you would bookmark any web page. I have a little folder for Google on my toolbar I dragged the icon to the left of the firefox address bar into it, it is now saved in that folder.

Should I want to do a search of the forums using google:
1. I would just click that bookmark and those results are displayed.
2. I then change the search string that is in the google results window, adding the new search and  leaving the site:forum.avast.com part.
3. Now when you click enter it completes the search on your new search string within the forums and you don't have to type in or remember the site:forum.avast.com part.

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 01:33:08 AM »
I have in the past used the "" quotes with success
Try to use "tor.exe" for instance... it does not pick the exactly words.

"torpark" site:forum.avast.com
Wow... fantastic... a bit complicated to remember and write down, but, anyway, exactly what we want...

If you have the Google toolbar installed, type your query into the Google search box, then click the magnifying glass with the two eyes on it to search only the site.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:35:11 AM by Sawduster »
avast! Free.
Able to help most people find the 'ANY' key.