Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death during Avast scan in boot mode  (Read 7934 times)

ahhnoo

Blue Screen of Death during Avast scan in boot mode
« on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »
I have used avast home edition for almost five years. Great program, no problems until possibly now. I have Windows XP SP3. And I usually do a boot scan with avast once a week. However, since December 3, 2008, everytime I thorough scan with avast inside boot mode, it progresses but before it ends around 50% the computer crashes and I get a Blue Screen of Death. The BSOD has the following:

kernel_stack_inpage_error

*** Stop: 0x00000077
0xC000009C
0xC000009c
0x00000000
0x010FE000

Yet, I have had no virus alerts or infections for over a year. However, I am able to do a thorough scan in Regular Mode. There is no notice of infection. I do not think it is infected, but I have no idea why this is happening. I am computer illiterate. This is my only computer, and I cannot afford another one at this time. Help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Blue Screen of Death during Avast scan in boot mode
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 06:38:02 PM »
The report file is created automatically in <avast4>\Data\Report\aswBoot.txt. Does it have more info?
Also, it will be good if you run a chkdsk /R command and check your disk against physical errors.
The best things in life are free.

ahhnoo

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
Thank you for such quick responding.
Here is the text:

07/11/2008 07:02
Scan of all local drives

Number of searched folders: 7870
Number of tested files: 96178
Number of infected files: 0

I did do chkdsk /R yesterday after finding this happen, but it still continued. Also, I can find information on all of the 0x...etc, but no info on 0x010FE000. What is 0x010FE000. Still needed help with the original problem, but another thank you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 07:01:01 PM »
Please run a diskcheck on your system drive, including a surface test.
It sounds like a bad block on the disk to me (though I may be wrong, of course).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »
ahhnoo, how much RAM does your system have?
This blue screen can sometimes occur in an out-of-memory condition.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ahhnoo

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:06:14 PM »
I just posted this morning, and already getting help within minutes. Continuing thanks. I did a diskcheck repair (chkdsk /r) it repaired some things, and I will try a boot mode scan to see if it was fixed. But in case that didn't work what and how do I do:

Surface test?
Check how much RAM?

Also, what does 0x010FE000 mean? I know the others, but not that one.

Again, thank you for the continuing help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:41:24 PM »
Surface test?
As far I know, the /R parameter should do it. Am I wrong? ???

Check how much RAM?
Start Menu > Control Panel > System > The OS installed, the processor information and the amount of RAM will be displayed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »
This is a list of all the switches.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ahhnoo

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:24:23 PM »
Good news: The computer has been saved. Yesterday afternoon, I chkdsk /r and after went into boot mode for avast thorough scan. The computer was corrected, and I had no problems with the scan. I even did another boot mode scan after the first, to make sure. No infections were present. Thanks all for such great wonderful help. If I ever become better computer literate, I'll be sure to try to help with any others' computer problems in this forum.

My only question remaining, is what caused the problem? I understand the BSOD, but what caused my computer to be like that for a time, and then was corrected. What was corrected?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 12:58:37 AM »
My only question remaining, is what caused the problem? I understand the BSOD, but what caused my computer to be like that for a time, and then was corrected. What was corrected?
Power down and power failures could do to file system problems and errors. That command correct them ;)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 10:18:26 PM »
I did a diskcheck repair (chkdsk /r) it repaired some things, and I will try a boot mode scan to see if it was fixed. But in case that didn't work...

Actually, BSOD status code 0xC0000009C indicated bad sectors on the hard disk.
Problem solved.