Author Topic: Won't Restart after Update  (Read 3374 times)

mikeciara

Won't Restart after Update
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »
Avast 4.8 Home -- Build: Jul2008 (4.8.1229) currently
WinXP SP3
Online Armor Firewall
Spybot S&D

The last three times I have updated the Avast Program files, either by clicking Tools... Updating...  Program Update or by clicking the notification that pops up in the right corner of the screen, my computer fails to start after a reboot.  In each case I have had to go into Safe Mode, uninstall Avast, manually download a new copy of the program and reinstall it.
  The upgrade appears to proceed normally and no error messages are displayed.  On reboot attempts there is no error message or blue screen displayed, it just hangs.
  It's not a huge big deal to me, 'cause I can get things working again, but I thought you'd like to know.  You guys have a great antivirus program and I'm just delighted that you let me use it for free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Won't Restart after Update
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:43:36 PM »
There have been a number of weird occurrences with online armor (try a forum search) blocking changed elements in avast after a program update and this on occasion has caused the boot to freeze.

Try putting OA into learning mode and or add the avast processes to trusted, etc.

Sorry I don't use OA so I don't know the correct terms or how to actually apply them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mikeciara

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »
Thanks, David, for your reply.
My problem was quite similar to that described in the other posts.
Placing Online Armor in Learning Mode during the Avast! update (as you suggested) did the trick.
Thanks again,
Mike C

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

What gets up my nose is firewalls that do this without informing the user what they are doing, so all the user knows is they have a problem and blame something else.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security