Author Topic: I have serious virus problem. Please help.  (Read 14745 times)

DIrrgang

Re: I have serious virus problem. Please help.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 09:24:58 AM »
I don't know if I have a virus problem or not.  Until last night when I ran my Avast scan, it always said 0 infections.  Last night it said RESULTS OF LAST SCAN:   I'm supplying 2 examples under Name Of File:
1.  C:\documents and settings\allusers\application\data\spybot-search and destroy\recoveryWildTangent2.zip\apps\gameschannel\games\4FQAE1FB-4082-4A27-8363-05D292D92FBO\v1\media\testures\effects\high\dust_desert_1.wip 
RESULT: unable to sfcan:Archive is password protected
2. c:\documents and settings\allusuers\applicationdata\aoldownloads\ssc_suite_installer_1.10.7.1\comps\pwinset.exe\$RO\shredrem.ui\conctl.lpk. 
RESULT: Same as above.and said 3725 listed lines
I haven't used Spybot or AOL in quite some time and don't know what to do with this.  I just joined your forum tonight and would appreciate some imput.  I am computer literate but not accomplished so if you can offer help, I need simple words.  Thank you, Diana

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 03:44:01 PM »
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35347.msg297170#msg297170 this topic for more information on why files can't be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

akhilcb

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 10:21:33 AM »
I also have the same problem.. What should I do now? One hacker tried to hack into my pc and I disconnected my net connection and scanned pc using avast. It removed some trojans. After that, whenever I scans, I gets this problem.. So is there some trojan or worms still there?? Please help me..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »
I also have the same problem.. What should I do now? One hacker tried to hack into my pc and I disconnected my net connection and scanned pc using avast. It removed some trojans. After that, whenever I scans, I gets this problem.. So is there some trojan or worms still there?? Please help me..
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

DIrrgang

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »
DavidR  Thank you for your link to help solve my problem.  I did go there and did everything that was listed including the boot scan.  Thankfully no viruses were detected.  I shut everything down for the night and today ran a regular scan today.  I have exactly the same thing telling me the scan can't be completed with the same # of listed lines.  With this showing up again, I feel my scan is not being completed.  What can I do now?  Diana

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 03:24:49 PM »
Those same list of entries will continue to be reported, a) if the reason given is legitimate for the particular location/program, b) if they relate to something like spybot S&D quarantine items (and you didn't remove old items from its quarantine ?).

Remember - Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

This is however, total speculation as you haven't given enough examples of the files, location and reason why the files can't be scanned. The biggest issue seems to be password protected and a number of applications do this to protect their files and quarantine, etc. and avast isn't privy to the password, so it won't be able to open them.

So if you can post some more of the common files/locations (outside of the AOHell and S&D examples you already gave) and reasons then we can try to identify if this is a legitimate reason why a file isn't being scanned.

I have zero experience of AOHell having avoided it for all my computer life, if you no longer use AOHell for your ISP or use any other AOHell services, e.g. its free email service, etc. Then you should investigate uninstalling it, how you would do this I can't even begin to advise.

Your scan is completing as the display of the list is the final part of the scan process, displaying the list of files that couldn't be scanned.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:29:10 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

handcuff36

Virus problem, maybe maybe not !
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
Hello, this is my first post here, thank you. First a Merry Christmas to all.

I have been on Avast for ions and quite happy with it. Lately, I get a funny little icon that shows up near the My Computor ( Vista HB ), it does not seem to hinder the system at all, at least, nothing noted. It flashes on the screen for a flick of an eyelid.  It looks like a small ghost. I have some PRn/Scrn of it, if I could find where to attach them here.  I will try the +Additional Options. Stand-by. Hey, I think that I did it.  If you are looking at the -4.jpg, reduce it to 5% to fill your screen.

Anybody with any idea of what this is, would earn my thankyou for sure. I wonder if it is a key-loger of sort ?

Have a nice day and thanks for the opportunity to make new friends.         JP aka handcuff36

handcuff36

I have serious virus problem. Please help.
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »
Me again.
What a nice setup you have here, I was able to attach some .jpg to show what I have in mind and they show up quite nicely. I need the attention of some experts on this. Please ask any question and I will do my best to be worth them.

The machine here is an Acer M1610, two-core AMD 1.6 MHz, 2G RAM, running Vista SP-3, ethernet G, IE -7.

Thanks for your attention.   JP  aka handcuff36.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
I really don't have any idea what it might be (though it should really be on its own topic), if it remains there, right click and select properties and see what information can be gleaned. Or check out Task Manager to see if there are any unknown processes running, etc. I think you can see why this should be on its own topic, probably in the General forum as it doesn't appear to be avast related...

- Please start a New Topic of your own as this seems unrelated to the original subject and will just confuse the topic and we will try to help.  - Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the General forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.

handcuff36

Ghost.
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
Thanks David for a quick reply.
I will try to C&P this post of mine to the General echo.   Sorry for being out of topic here, I am learning your setup.

I posted it here as I thought that if it was malware, Avast should have found it, no ?

Again, a great day to you.    JP.  aka Handcuff36

DIrrgang

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 04:57:09 AM »
I hope you'll bear with me as I still don't really understand.
I don't have AOL or SpyBot on my computer.  I quit using them a year ago and removed everything related to them from my computer.   I don't have anything in any quarantine files.
I gave you both examples of what showed up.  They are the same 2 and keep repeating themselves over and over. 
I have used Avast for over 6 months and don't understand why this happened all of a sudden.
Is there any way to delete these 2 issues?
Should I completely uninstall and reinstall Avast?  Would that make the issue go away?
Diana
Those same list of entries will continue to be reported, a) if the reason given is legitimate for the particular location/program, b) if they relate to something like spybot S&D quarantine items (and you didn't remove old items from its quarantine ?).

Remember - Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

This is however, total speculation as you haven't given enough examples of the files, location and reason why the files can't be scanned. The biggest issue seems to be password protected and a number of applications do this to protect their files and quarantine, etc. and avast isn't privy to the password, so it won't be able to open them.

So if you can post some more of the common files/locations (outside of the AOHell and S&D examples you already gave) and reasons then we can try to identify if this is a legitimate reason why a file isn't being scanned.

I have zero experience of AOHell having avoided it for all my computer life, if you no longer use AOHell for your ISP or use any other AOHell services, e.g. its free email service, etc. Then you should investigate uninstalling it, how you would do this I can't even begin to advise.

Your scan is completing as the display of the list is the final part of the scan process, displaying the list of files that couldn't be scanned.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »
Well your first post contradicts yo as there are remnants on your system of both S&D and AOHell.

1. allusers\application\data\spybot-search and destroy\ - this particular archive -
recoveryWildTangent2.zip

2. allusuers\applicationdata\aoldownloads\ this particular installer -
ssc_suite_installer_1.10.7.1

They are the respective folders where those problem files reside, now under normal circumstances I wouldn't recommend removing files just because they can't be scanned , but as you say you got rid of S&D and AOHell. Then there shouldn't be a problem in removing those Folders.

Uninstalling and reinstalling will make no difference avast as avast still won't be able to get past password protected files, it doesn't know the password.

Why this has happened after a period of time, I have no idea, there may well be some remnants that you are unaware of.

DIrrgang

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
Well your first post contradicts yo as there are remnants on your system of both S&D and AOHell.

1. allusers\application\data\spybot-search and destroy\ - this particular archive -
recoveryWildTangent2.zip

2. allusuers\applicationdata\aoldownloads\ this particular installer -
ssc_suite_installer_1.10.7.1

They are the respective folders where those problem files reside, now under normal circumstances I wouldn't recommend removing files just because they can't be scanned , but as you say you got rid of S&D and AOHell. Then there shouldn't be a problem in removing those Folders.

Uninstalling and reinstalling will make no difference avast as avast still won't be able to get past password protected files, it doesn't know the password.

Why this has happened after a period of time, I have no idea, there may well be some remnants that you are unaware of.

I'm sure this above and beyond what you do but I would appreciate your help anyway.  I went into all of my files, program or other and can find Nothing that says AOL or Spybot.  Could you suggest a way, using the info you quoted in your reply to me, I could find these files and get rid of them? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 06:05:45 PM »
- Ensure that you have hidden files and folders enabled and disable hide system files in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, Hidden files and folders, see image.

Just do a search with windows explorer for aoldownloads and spybot-search and destroy that should find the folders where this is stored, though you should have been able to navigate to these folders as I wouldn't have though they would have been hidden.

DIrrgang

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 07:56:34 AM »
- Ensure that you have hidden files and folders enabled and disable hide system files in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, Hidden files and folders, see image.

Just do a search with windows explorer for aoldownloads and spybot-search and destroy that should find the folders where this is stored, though you should have been able to navigate to these folders as I wouldn't have though they would have been hidden.
Well, I did as you said and made sure everything was checked per your diagram.I shut everything down and this morning, I booted up and ran the Avast scan and exactly the same thing happened.  I think Avast is a great product but I need to get this resolved.  I noticed a very similar post under a different title so I clicked on it but no answers there either.  Diana