Author Topic: Vista says Avast not running  (Read 4880 times)

Tomtom

Vista says Avast not running
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
The recent Internet Explorer patch upset my laptop (IE eventually stopped accessing internet even though other programs could and then computer wouldnt turn off), and after a restore, I now get a warning from Windows Security Centre that Avast isnt running. If I try to turn Avast on through the Security Centre, nothing changes.  According to Avast, four of the providers are running. If I try to start the others I can get the number up to five.  How do I get Avast to run normally with default settings or do I need to uninstall and start again.

Thanks

Tom - Centrino core 2 duo - Vista home premium

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Vista says Avast not running
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Also, which was your old antivirus? How did you remove it?

If the new installation fails, follow:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm
The best things in life are free.

Tomtom

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:07:29 AM »
Thanks Tech,

I did the double uninstall and the reinstall and now everything seems to be working - just have to hope there isnt any other damage.

I bought the computer about 18 months ago preloaded with Nortons with a 3 month free trial but I uninstalled it using Control Panel without activating it and immediately installed Avast.  I also run Zone Alarm free firewall, Spyware Terminator and Spybot and they all seem happy running together.

I ran Avast after an update and then Spy T and Spybot and all say the computer is clean.

I have now changed to Firefox.  Seems to be faster than Internet Explorer and I will probably stick with it.

Thanks for the great service and program from Tom

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »
I uninstalled it using Control Panel without activating it and immediately installed Avast.
I really suggest the cleaning of remains of Norton:

1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel (if there is any yet). Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 06:19:14 AM »
I just want to second the motion of using the norton removal tool.

I (at one of my sites) used McAfee's corporate antivirus solution for a while, and finally got management to buy avast instead.  Even after removing McAfee from their "managed software" all computers had a few services still running, even though they didn't have anti-virus installed anymore.

The uninstall tool was the only thing that would fully remove the product.

Norton may be different, but it's definitely a good idea to completely get rid of old products.  Make sure that you check your task manager to see if the product is completely removed.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum