Author Topic: Avast 4.8 scan on vista freezes  (Read 1828 times)

wombat157

Avast 4.8 scan on vista freezes
« on: December 27, 2008, 10:44:14 PM »
I have a new dell vostro 1700 with nothing on it. I have vista business installed. I loaded 4.8 which upgrades fine daily for the last 2 months but i never scanned thinking it was auto scanning like AVG.  Well I figured out that it was not so I tried to scan my local hard drives today and the computer freezes and must be rebooted after each of these directories.  I added each to the exclutions as the system freezed each time but due to the sizing of the skin was unable to determine if it was the directory or specific files.  What I need to know is do I have to be worried that these directories contain some type of virus that is creating this problem or if this is some other problem inhereted to avast or vista.  I let the computer scan these directories for hours before  rebooting to verify it wasn't just slow.  No damage rebooting though, although once it took forever to reboot.  Also I cannot see the C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed directory past this point even with all files visible enabled.  the Avast program said there were two more directories after the managed directory but I cannot find them even if I typed it in with a wild card. please help me, I need virus protection.

C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\1033
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Bin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 4.8 scan on vista freezes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 11:21:34 PM »
Are you using avast server version (board you've posted)?
If you're using avast home, then you won't have scheduled scanning (only present in Pro version).
That folders shouldn't be a problem...

Additionally, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.