Author Topic: Avast! Noobie :)  (Read 4204 times)

TomoSnake

Avast! Noobie :)
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »
Hello,...

I'm fresh user of avast! anti-virus. So far is very good. But, as every noobie i have some questions.

1) VRDB?
2) Will Avast! slow down my multitasking, and if answer is YES, how can I prevent this?
3) Can you provide me some advanced settings for avast! ?
4) I was using AVG 8.0 before avast!, and now, after download is complete in Firefox (3.0.5), avast! won't scan file. Is that normal?
x) And yes,... I couldn't register avast! with my Google account? Why?

Thanks for you cooperation and help :)

Tomislav
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:16:58 AM by TomoSnake »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! Noobie :)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »
1) VRDB?
It stores the necessary info to restore executables (*.exe, *.com) files.
VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files).
Besides, only Win32 executables are processed.
VRDB is a generic method, storing file parts that are often target of virus infections. Actually, VRDB scans all the local hard disks for executable files and stores some info about them. VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files). Besides, only Win32 executables are processed. The VRDB data are stored in <avast>\Data\Integ\avast.int

Those 8 seconds mean VRDB will start generating when mouse is not moved(and keyboard not pressed) for 8 seconds. If you give any input to your PC within these 8 sec VRDB will NOT start generating.
Most problaby... I don't have this entry documented in avast4.ini file thread 
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

2) Will Avast! slow down my multitasking, and if answer is YES, how can I prevent this?
Set the Standard Shield level to Normal (default) and not High.

3) Can you provide me some advanced settings for avast! ?
Click Settings in my signature ;)

4) I was using AVG 8.0 before avast!, and now, after download is complete in Firefox (3.0.5), avast! won't scan file. Is that normal?
Firefox should be configured to do so with ashQuick.exe (from avast folder). Do you use a download manager?

x) And yes,... I couldn't register avast! with my Google account? Why?
Do you use a firewall? avast shouldn't mess anything into Google account... Which is your browser?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »
Ensure all remnants of AVG8 are gone try this AVG Remover tool, download it from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TomoSnake

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »
@ DavidR: Thanks for removal tool, i did that. My system is clean from AVG 8.0. ;)

@ TechGUY :) :

1) Very very very detailed review of VRDB, respect :) ... So, should i live it ENABLED or DISABLED? I got plenty of system resources, and if it's helps, I can leave it Enabled :)

2) Ok, that's default setting,... Shield level is set to Normal.

3) I'll check your link in signature  ;)

4) No, I don't use any download manager. Just default one from Firefox. I noticed that AVG was doing scan after the download was successful. Maybe restart of computer would do the thing? ??? ::)

5) Do I need E-mail scanner? I use online e-mail application (www.gmail.com)
x) No, I don't use any firewall. The problem is at this point > http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php ... Well, now it works :D ... When I tried to register avast! with my Google account, page wouldn't let me to do that. I think because i have large name and surname :)

Thanks for free support :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:56:19 PM by TomoSnake »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TomoSnake

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
Thanks for welcome...

can you just answer to the fifth mark?

5) Do I need E-mail scanner? I use online e-mail application (www.gmail.com)

P.S.: Sorry for my desperate English xD
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:54:05 PM by TomoSnake »

sded

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
There are ways to set up Avast! to scan the gmail encrypted email if you want to download it with pop3, but since Gmail already virus scans all of your mail, plus the avast! standard shield will scan it again if you try to open or store it, and it is encrypted between your computer and the gmail mail server so won't be tampered with, I feel comfortable without email scanning gmail.  I do it on one of my computers anyway, since it was already set up before my ISP outsourced to Gmail, but don't bother on my backup computer.  If you are using webmail, you get the same scanning by Gmail plus the encryption and Standard Shield scanning by Avast!; the email scanner is not used there.  For other pop3 mail systems, the email scanner can be a fine tool to have to catch malware before it gets to your computer files.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 01:35:03 AM »
But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.
There is an explanation of this here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28150.msg229981#msg229981

Since SSL/TLS e-mail is encrypted and decrypted in the client, external virus scanners (including avast!) can't read or scan it.
The solution is to pass e-mail in and out un-encrypted from your client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, ...) to a proxy program (Stunnel) that does the actual ssl or tls encryption/decryption of the pop3/smtp e-mail and communicates directly with the ISP server on the appropriate ports. Download here: http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html
The best things in life are free.

TomoSnake

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 10:47:29 PM »
hello

After more than one week, I can only say AVAST! RULES!!! Really,.. I've used a bunch of anti-virus. From Notron to NOD32, AVG, AntiVir and only with avast! I'm fully satisfied ...

Good job crew,... Can't wait to try Avast! 5.0, I hope it will coming out soon :)

Tom