Author Topic: no avast running from ME to XP upgrade  (Read 7104 times)

bouncingbaby

no avast running from ME to XP upgrade
« on: January 14, 2009, 01:46:13 PM »
I have Avast 4.8 home edition and recently upgraded from windows ME to XP. Avast is not loading at startup. I am being told that I have no virus protection found.  I tried enabling the resident  protection but it reverts back when I close the program. Would uninstalling and reinstalling fix the problem? Any advice would be appreciated. :o

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: no avast running from ME to XP upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
Yes, you certainly have to reinstall avast!.
The ME and XP platforms are completely different - avast! uses different files, different drivers... it won't work if you simply change the OS and keep the previous avast! installation.

bouncingbaby

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »
Thank you for your time

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »
On a side note, you've really been running windows ME for this long?  You must HATE windows by now!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »
On a side note, you've really been running windows ME for this long?  You must HATE windows by now!
Indeed, Me was the worst Windows version they ever released...

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »

I did not have a problem with it but then I do not run games. 

Most games need a real mode DOS installed and ME did not have it if I remember.

If the system came from ME the most likely the hard drive is FAT32 and needs to be converted to NTFS as it is a much superior file handling system:
How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 06:14:23 PM »

I skipped it completely, win3, win95, win98, win98se, winXP Pro and may do the same for Vista.

We will have to wait some considerable time to see how Vista stacks up in that regard MS seem to be having a very hard time trying to kill XP (and failing) and now the big push for Windows 7 is about to commence. So Vista is almost the unloved middle child ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 01:41:01 AM »
How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881
This (the file system conversion) will require you add the avast license key again. It's an antipiracy feature in action...

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »
I skipped it completely, win3, win95, win98, win98se, winXP Pro and may do the same for Vista.

We will have to wait some considerable time to see how Vista stacks up in that regard MS seem to be having a very hard time trying to kill XP (and failing) and now the big push for Windows 7 is about to commence. So Vista is almost the unloved middle child

I hate to say this, but there really isn't too much wrong with Vista.  It's really getting a bad rap.

I've had it installed on a few machines, and the only real problem is poorly written software.  The operating system itself is very nice, albeit a little hard to find things, but that's because we're still used to where everything was on all the previous os's.  As long as you have a decent computer that's better than the minimum system requirements, and you do a fresh install (not an upgrade) it's actually not that bad.

I just hope that Windows 7 doesn't come out too soon, because my Vista cert will be worthless...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 05:08:44 PM »
I have no personally experience of it, so I don't have an opinion on how good or bad it is.

I just didn't feel it offered much more than XP Pro, so when I bought my new system I stuck with XP Pro.

I think MS although not saying it publicly would like to see it out the door as quickly as possible (that is what I'm seeing in some to the computer press) as the pick-up of Vista certainly in the corporate sector is less than good. The same is said of the Upgrade path as for many it would be too costly because their existing system wouldn't run it and if it could if is likely to be slower than XP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
You are correct.  The business sector hasn't picked up on it at all.  I couldn't use it for my schools because they have horribly old software that won't work with it.

But, just like Windows XP did when it first came out, everyone balked at the idea of needing 512MB of RAM and a 3D accelerator card to run it.

Now look at us.

XP freaks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 05:32:36 PM »
I couldn't use it for my schools because they have horribly old software that won't work with it.
They won't work on Windows 7 either, will they? ???

Vista requires a powerful machine... but it works good, imho, better than XP (stability, security).

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 05:54:29 PM »
I couldn't use it for my schools because they have horribly old software that won't work with it.
They won't work on Windows 7 either, will they? ???

Vista requires a powerful machine... but it works good, imho, better than XP (stability, security).

Agreed Tech,  Also after running Vista and then working on a XP machine XP looks VERY dated.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »
I'm guessing that yes, windows 7 will be much of the same.  As I said before, it's not a Windows Problem, it's a poorly written software problem  ;D.

And I can't agree more with the fact that XP looks so dated compared to Vista.  Then again, I still think that XP has a "cartoony" look, and always have.

If you look at the newest Mac OSes, or even Kubuntu, they blow XP away in terms of appearance.