Author Topic: Backup strategy  (Read 2686 times)

smage

Backup strategy
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:11:11 PM »
Hi,
Anyone knows how I can create an exact image of my hardisk for free?  I would store the image on another partition so that in case of a crash, I can restore my PC.
Thanks

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Backup strategy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »
Cloning & Partition Management: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Compressed image: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

Both very reliable for me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:35:11 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
You should be wary of placing images on just another partition on the same HDD, if you have an HDD failure these drive images would be lost so you don't have a restore path. If you have a second internal HDD than having a partition on that for your primary drive images would be better.

Currently I have a single HDD in my new system (must get around to installing a second) and save my back-ups and drive images on a partition on that disk. However I also have an external HDD that I copy the back-up partition to so I have copies outside of the single drive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smage

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:08:51 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
In fact I have 2 partitions on my internal hardisk, so if Windows crashes, I would not be able to restore the image.
I am currently using only 15GB of my hardisk, can I create the backup using DVDs?
Regards

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 04:24:46 AM »
I believe that David is warning you of the risk of losing everything if you experience a hard disk drive failure.  You would not only lose your system you would also lose your backup images. 

You may want to consider burning an image you trust to some external media (like DVDs) every so often so that you would not lose everything in the unfortunate event of a hard disk drive failure or need to go back too far.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:04:51 PM »
Thanks for your answer.
In fact I have 2 partitions on my internal hardisk, so if Windows crashes, I would not be able to restore the image.

Alan has correctly gauged my warning.

I am currently using only 15GB of my hardisk, can I create the backup using DVDs?
Regards

That is entirely possible, though the Disk Imaging software you choose would have to have that feature to back-up to DVD, not all of them do.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:22:17 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security