Author Topic: Scans and Updates  (Read 15536 times)

albetts

Scans and Updates
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:23 PM »
I'm a newbie.  I've been sitting in front of my computer for about one hour now and have read so many threads and just cannot absorb anything else. lol.   Forgive me, as I said I"m new.  I'm using the free home edition of Avast 4.8.  It was recommended by Cloudeight and I'm very pleased with it.  My windows programme is XL.

Finally to the question.   Do I have to be online to scan......

I'm sure I have to be online to do updates.

Many thanks in advance for your help.  Regards,
 ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scans and Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
No you don't have to be on-line, in fact it is possibly better that you aren't (less other activity for avast to have to scan).

Yes you do need to be on-line to update, there is no other way to directly 'download' the virus signature or program updates.

The avast updates will automatically check when you establish an internet connection (they don't establish a connection). With the default settings if there is a VPS (virus signatures) update available the incremental update will be automatically downloaded; if there is a Program update available because this is likely to be much larger it will 'Ask' by way of a notification pop-up if you want to download it now.

Or is there something not written in this last question, e.g. a system that isn't connected to the internet ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

albetts

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:29:35 PM »
No you don't have to be on-line, in fact it is possibly better that you aren't (less other activity for avast to have to scan).

Yes you do need to be on-line to update, there is no other way to directly 'download' the virus signature or program updates.

The avast updates will automatically check when you establish an internet connection (they don't establish a connection). With the default settings if there is a VPS (virus signatures) update available the incremental update will be automatically downloaded; if there is a Program update available because this is likely to be much larger it will 'Ask' by way of a notification pop-up if you want to download it now.

Or is there something not written in this last question, e.g. a system that isn't connected to the internet ?

Thank you so very much David.  I appreciate your time.  Your response covers completely the questions I asked.  Thanks again.  Regards, Beth

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security