Author Topic: Our website is being Labeled 'Malicious Content' by Avast - Don't know why  (Read 4769 times)

eidsvos

Our website 'LogosProductions.Com' is being labeled by Avast as having 'Malicious Content'.  I am not sure why or how this happened or how to get that label removed.  We are a church publisher, and sell products to churches.  We also sell on-line subscriptions, where people utilize our website to get to the subscription / product that they want to view.  This is creating a huge problem for our customer base who happen to use Avast as thier anti virus protection software.  I can assure you that we do not have any malicious content on our website.  We have notified our web master / web hosting company who have also assured us that there is no malicious content on the site. 

How do we proceed with getting this label removed where Avast is not labeling us this way.  It has been about a week now that we have had this label, and I am desparately trying to figure out how to loose the label and allow our faithful customers worry free access to our site again. 

Can somebody please help.

Thanks,

Scott
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:27:20 PM by eidsvos »

Bob Anderson

Re: Our website is being Labeled 'Malicious Content' by Avast - Don't know why
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:10:37 PM »
I have no trouble reaching your website and do not get the malicious message.

-Bob

eidsvos

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »
We have had many of our web customers call to say they are being blocked from getting to the site from Avast.  We also had one call where somebody was using Norton AV (not sure what version) and they were unable to access the site.  We also were notified by a customer who went to the site and was blocked by Websence (enterprise web filtering tool) siting 'Malicious Content'.  I am assuming that we somehow got placed on a blacklist that is perhaps used commonly by several of the main AV companies?  I am really not sure what is happening, and why we are experiancing this problem.  Any ideas on why it is happening, and how to get it cured?      Thanks in advance for any help.

sded

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:39:28 PM »
Has your website recently installed anything like a counter or other code segment from an outside source?  I get  a big Trojan warning from Avast!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:48:40 PM by sded »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
It would be good to know what exactly was reported - i.e. what was the full address blocked, or what virus name was reported, if any.

sded

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
 How about a picture from Opera 9.63 attempt?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
There is a big block of encrypted javascript, inserted at the end of the page... it doesn't seem right.
Maybe the site was hacked?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 07:52:40 PM »
This is the offending massive lump of obfuscated script just before the closing body tag.

I have broken up the single line of code to make it easier to see, I presume that you didn't place that script tag there ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

ScanDoo also shows the site is infected.

Click the image below to enlarge.

eidsvos

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »
Thanks to all that responded on this.  I pointed our web administrator to this thread, and your valuable responses, and he was able to fix the problem.  We are now in good standing with Avast. 
Many Thanks!

Does anybody know about Websence, and how it gathers it's Malicious Content data?  I see that we are still blocked as a Malicious Content website by them.  I would assume there must be a Blacklist or something that we are on, and will need to try to get ourselves removed from that list??  Any ideas on that?  Thanks in advance for any opinions, or ideas on the direction I should go on resolving that. 

Thanks,
Scott

eidsvos

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »
One other question.  Based on the infected code that was noted above, should we be concerned about any residual effects of this virus / infection against our internal network PC users, or customers that have visited our website unprotected?

Thanks,
Scott

Spiritsongs

"WebSence"
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:20:08 PM »
 :)  Hi Scott :

As far as Websence goes, you might want to contact them based on the Info
 available at www.websense.com/site/footer/ContactUs.html  !?

Based on what happened, I would question the competancy of your "web hosting
 company" that allowed that "script" be placed on your Site !?

As a fellow Christian, perhaps you should seek the Advice of Christian Publisher
 Strang Communications, who publish Charisma magazine , for HOW they protect
 their Site !?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:10 PM »
I don't know how websence works, but I would imagine that once you get on a list, getting of it takes time.

But my friend google might help, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websense, there is a link for websense.com and they have a contact us page http://www.websense.com/site/footer/ContactUs.html.

I would say any residual effect after removal of the script and it could be in more than one page is minimal. Your major concern is how they were able to hack your page in the first place, that is something your web administrator is going to have to look at, changing any site passwords (used to modify pages, etc.) to strong ones might help.

As Spiritsongs says your host provider needs to be involved also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security