Author Topic: Trojan downloader Win32.DlKroha.r virus  (Read 3196 times)

JG98258

Trojan downloader Win32.DlKroha.r virus
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »
Seems I have this one. . . here's how I found it: 2 days ago: the computer has 2 hard drives in it- an 80 GB and 160 GB. The 80 GB drive is the boot drive. Has Avast on it with a new id number. Avast detected a virus and told me to shut down the computer. Won't boot from hard drive when I turn it back on- "disk boot failure. . ." message. Recovery Console from CD won't work- password file probably corrupt.

So here's what I did last night: I installed another hard drive in computer- a 40 GB, set as master- the previous boot drive for that computer from a few months ago, still had Win XP, IE7, etc. on it. Still has Avast on it, but it the id number was no longer valid. Changed the 80 GB drive to slave(now the D drive), and disconnected the 160 GB altogether. Ran one freeware AV from internet on D: drive, did not detect anything. Ran the Kaspersky AV, and it detected this:

Trojan-downloader.Win32.DlKroha.r

Didn't get to finish the scan last night- had to go to bed. Am at work now, will finish my scans and etc. tonight. Have found out there are several similar trojans out there- a DlKroha.k, DlKroha.n, etc. Maybe mine is related. Certainly is causing havoc!

My questions are:
1.  Am I going to be able to rid the D: drive of malware using the various internet freeware AV products, then take the 40GB back out, make the 80GB the master again, and continue on my merry way?
2. Am I going to be able to scan the boot sector of the D: drive- it seems that's where some of the viruses are, since when this drive was the boot drive I got the "disk boot failure" message?
3. Am I going to be able to reactivate Avast, still installed on the 40 GB drive, and use it to scan both the 40 and 80 GB drives?
4. Are these viruses loading themselves onto the 40 GB drive?

I do have the option of reinstalling Win XP on the 80 GB drive and starting over, reinstalling apps, Avast, etc., reconnecting the 160 GB drive, scan, etc., but if I can avoid that route I'd prefer to. Thank you for your help.

cazoza

Re: Trojan downloader Win32.DlKroha.r virus
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »
Hi! Well, i could tell you to Try Super antispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html, and malwarebytes tools,http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php, but update them before scanning, just do a full scan with both, i can tell you best of both i SuperAntiSpyware. And if nothing of that function, try a boot scan, and in advanced options select scan all files, and permit it to move/delete files. So it will automatically move virus to chest and if not it will delete it.