Author Topic: Avast deleted Office software  (Read 4963 times)

toocyn

Avast deleted Office software
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
I ran a boot scan. I tried using the move to chest option but it kept giving me errors so I chose the delete option, (thinking that an antivirus knows what's a virus and what isn't) and now all of the Office software is deleted (as well as a lot of other programs). Is there any way to restore them??? I think it deleted half my computer!

(I used avast 4.8 professional edition on an XP pc)

east yorkie

Re: Avast deleted Office software
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:25:17 PM »
Have you not tried restoring your computer to a previous state?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:27:36 PM »
What virus name was reported in those files?

wsx123

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:53:19 AM »
Just install the office software again from cd, restore disks or download.

toocyn

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
Sorry for the delay...

I appreciate the answers, however, I can't restore the computer to a previous state because the restore option wasn't on at the time, and I can't re-install the office software because I don't have the cds. Besides, after looking more thoroughly it seems that practically all the .exes have been deleted. Why would the antivirus delete all my software?

cindysdad

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
toocyn --
This is really scary.  I would much rather have a s..t load of viruses on my computer than have this happen to me.

I'm a relatively new user of Avast! and your posting is giving me second (and third, etc.) thoughts about using it.

Unfortunately the only thing I can give you is my sincere sympathy.
-- Keith  :'(

donoscar

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
I see several posts related to system files deleted and/or being unable to boot.
To survive these situations, it is essential to backup periodically the system partition (or the whole hard disk) using an imaging program like Drive Backup or TrueImage.
Doing this is at least as important as using an antivirus program like avast!. 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:47 PM »
it seems that practically all the .exes have been deleted. Why would the antivirus delete all my software?

Possibly because the executables were infected by a file-infector?
That's why I asked - what virus name was reported in the files?

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:40:18 PM »

it seems that practically all the .exes have been deleted. Why would the antivirus delete all my software?

Possibly because the executables were infected by a file-infector?
That's why I asked - what virus name was reported in the files?

As Igor is suggesting, it is possible that file-infector malware damaged all or most of the Office exe files.
So, in order to answer your questions, he needs to know the name of the virus (or other malware) that was reported by avast.

Delete is almost never a good first move. It is much better to quarantine (move) to the Chest do that there is the possibility of recovery.

toocyn

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 11:08:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't remember the virus name, or any of the messages I got from the antivirus. I tried to use the chest option but it wasn't available. Oh, well.

Thank you all for trying to help. I guess I just have to reinstall some things...
Actually, it wasn't my computer, it was my brother's computer. I have a mac, and I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't feel like dealing with stuff like these...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:13:40 AM »
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe

Or open the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log file (where the raw data comes from in the log viewer) using notepad.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security