Author Topic: malicious link in email message - related to msn?  (Read 2328 times)

spif

malicious link in email message - related to msn?
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
:) hi,

Today I received this email, which I believe is a link to something malicious. Since the text is in Portuguese I explain the stuff that gave me this impression.

1 - it comes from "IMPORTANT" not from a known address. and the email from where it came it's the same has my user ID  (eg: if it was spif@yahoo.com this one is spif@terra.com.br )

2 - I'm not a Hotmail user

3 - a bit alarmist

4!! - spelling mistakes , incorrect expressions and small mistakes ( ".!" )  ::)

eh eh  ;D I find the spelling mistakes the worst and quite hilarious... I didn't check the link obviously. I don't believe this has been made by the windows live team as it's signed.

so if you see this in your mother language you know.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: malicious link in email message - related to msn?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
I would suggest that you modify or remove the above emails (or it could result in more spam) if they are live emails as this is a publicly available web site.

These type of emails are speculative as there is a huge number of Hotmail users, so they may feel they have to register/activate and are then caught in this phishing or social engineering attack.

If you feel the links are malicious, send them to virus (at) avast (dot) com, with and explanation (copy and paste this topic), put "Undetected Malware (just to filter it out from others) possible malicious site" in the email Subject.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security