Author Topic: Frostwire  (Read 5456 times)

Skywarrior

Frostwire
« on: February 05, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »
Using 4.8.1296 here, don't find that Frostwire listed in the customize list for P2P Shield. Will just the  "High Sensitivity" cover the on access protection?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Frostwire
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:06:24 PM »
High sensitivity has no impact in this provider it operates at one protection level for all those supported P2P applications (which are selected).

If your P2P has a means of having your AV scan downloaded content, then this file is the one you want to point it at.
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mevcit

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
Avast has a protection for FrostWire like many other p2p programs. LimeWire Pro (I do not know about the fifth version) and FirostWire are nearly same. And you can test the protection by downloading a file which seems to be malicious.

mec

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »
It's not clear for me. Also in Avast! home 4.8.1335, Frostwire is not included in the list of the protected applications by the P2P shield.
Then, Frostwire users are protected or not?
This information is important for me, since I have recommended Avast! to a friend that uses Frostwire, and I has to clarify him as he has to do with the downloaded files (they are already scanned or not?).

mevcit

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »
I also use Frostwire, and as i said avast has a protection for it. You can try. Use both LimeWire and FrostWire, download the same malicious files (both of them use gnutella, so you can see the same files), you will get the same result. If you wanna be sure, download an archive file since standard shield doesn't scan archive files by default. And if avast detects it, then FrostWire is protected by p2p shield. (Be sure that protection levels are set to high.)

I don't know why FrostWire isn't in the list, but LimeWire and FrostWire are very similar programs (actually FrostWire has the ability to find more sources like LimeWire Pro does). You can read the history of FrostWire on Wikipedia, then you'll get what i mean.

Recently I made some small tests on FrostWire, and reached a result for p2p shield. You might want to take a look at my last two messages on the topic: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42331.msg354891#msg354891
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:24:03 PM by mevcit »

mec

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
Thank you very much for these information about your tests.
However it would be a good thing that the "Frostwire" name will be shortly inserted in the list of the P2P shield, to remove these user's doubts definitely.

mevcit

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:13:18 AM »
You're welcome. :)

p.s. In my previous message I said "Be sure that protection levels are set to high", but p2p shield level has no effect since there is no change (David also stated). On the other hand standard shield level is important for the protection of p2p applications as it can be understood clearly from my message on that topic.

Best regards.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:43:48 AM by mevcit »