Author Topic: Is it better to leave the default Avast settings as they are?  (Read 8967 times)

2009boy

Is it better to leave the default Avast settings as they are?
« on: February 22, 2009, 04:01:36 AM »
Are the default settings of Avast the best settings?
How do you configure it in order that every time it finds a malware it desinfects or eliminates it automatically without user intervention?

CharleyO

Re: Is it better to leave the default Avast settings as they are?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »

Are you using avast Home or avast Pro?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »
The automated mode is only available in Pro version.
In the major providers, there is a simple silent mode in the advanced tab of provider settings and more info about it into the help files.
The best things in life are free.

2009boy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:06:13 PM »
I use Pro Version.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
I choose to think so. I use the free version and the only change i made was to set the standard shiled on high instead of normal. So far I have had few issues with actual viruses. Actualy I only had one that was false positive.
Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
I won't say the best, but the enough.
User must like tweaking and changing default settings.
I think Standard Shield on High is overkilling. Normal (default) is the best balance on performance and protection.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:38:49 PM »
I won't say the best, but the enough.
Thank you for pointing that out Tech. I should have been more careful in my wording. I meant to say that for me, thefault settings and the standard shield set on high are the best.

I think Standard Shield on High is overkilling. Normal (default) is the best balance on performance and protection.
I have seen this comment (or in the whereabouts) from a few avast forum members. Yes, it is true that it seems to be and overkill (although to be honest I am not certain how much of a difference it makes) but for me I choose security over performance. The reason is that I sometimes use the school computers over which I have no control. So when I save a word file on my USB, I have no idea what else can come with it. So that is why I set the scanner to high.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »
I have seen this comment (or in the whereabouts) from a few avast forum members. Yes, it is true that it seems to be and overkill (although to be honest I am not certain how much of a difference it makes) but for me I choose security over performance. The reason is that I sometimes use the school computers over which I have no control. So when I save a word file on my USB, I have no idea what else can come with it. So that is why I set the scanner to high.
I'm in the same position. My colleagues usually know two things about computer security: there are viruses that can damage their computers, and there are antiviruses that must save their computers. And usually they have them all - viruses and antiviruses. ;D So, the higher is my Avast's sensitivity the better.
May the FOSS be with you!