Author Topic: Need Some Help with Log on Loop  (Read 8328 times)

Mjd0116

Need Some Help with Log on Loop
« on: February 22, 2009, 04:28:00 AM »
Okay So after recently being infected with what I think was the Win32 Vitro, I believe Avast got most of it but  I am now stuck at the Windows Log on Screen and when ever I log in it saves my settings and kicks me back to the log in screen, even does this in safe mode.

I even tried the method of using the windows recovery console to copy the userinit.exe wsaupdate.exe no luck

I also tried a repair install of windows XP Prof and no go

I don't want to wipe the HD completely and start from scratch just yet. If I do I just want to wait untill i can just buy a new HD and a few other upgrades for my PC and if anything a new XP disk I lost mine, had to use a friends.

Also I'm posting this from my laptop Or I would just hook up the old HD as a slave and see what data I could recover, so thats not an option yet either.

Any other suggestions to try to fix this problem?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:43:28 AM by Mjd0116 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Need Some Help with Log on Loop
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
Vitro is a serious and virulent .exe file infecter and the only thing avast can do is effectively move files to the chest or delete (not advised, but then again) so you may be left with little choice but to format and start from square one as you say.

Unless you had a back-up and recovery strategy (hard disk imaging software) in place where you could go back to a point before infection. Because as fast as files are replaced by a repair install they could be getting infected and detected by avast.

There are several recent topics in the forums on this new win32:Vitro a variant of the previously virulent win32:Virut virus that was starting to lose the war to AVs so this new offshoot of that is more complex than the virut infection.

DrWeb CureIt! - See http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/ - Download ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/launch.exe (Free) Fairly effective against file infectors, Virut (infects .exe, .scr & .wmv), more so when used in safe mode.

If you try to back-up data before a format you have to exercise care as the file types above could well have been infected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:09:38 PM »
If Dr. Web suggested by David fails for any reason, read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:

1. Avira
2. Kaspersky
3. BitDefender
4. F-Secure
The best things in life are free.

Mjd0116

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:28:27 PM »
Okay Ty for the advice I'm going to try some stuff now and see how it goes.

Mjd0116

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Since I cant log on to the PC I didn't get how to use DrWebCureIt So I have an Avira Rescue CD running now.

If I can log onto Admin or User after that, I'll then try to run DrWeb.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »
DrWeb CureIt would effectively only work if you had that HDD extracted as a slave drive (as you mentioned earlier was a consideration).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mjd0116

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 06:31:46 PM »
Thought so

I may yet have to take it to a computer tech place ( Still waiting on Avira to Finish, Hope it Works )

Any estimates on how much it would cost to reload XP Pro and format the HD?

Currently I had to use a Friends XP Pro cd and key, I have No Idea where my XP Pro disk is but I have the Key on the inside of my PC
Would a tech place be able to use that key or would they charge me for a New XP Pro?

because if thats the case I Might as well continue to work on it myself.

micky77

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:12:12 PM »
DrWeb also do a live cd, worth a try,if  Avira can't help

http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/?lng=en

Mjd0116

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »
Avira Didn't work, So I tryed F-Secure but It wont scan it tells me the HD is encrypted how Do I get in there to scan it?

Trying Drweb CD now see what it tells me
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:22:47 PM by Mjd0116 »

micky77

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:14:58 PM »
Avira Didn't work, So I tryed F-Secure but It wont scan it tells me the HD is encrypted how Do I get in there to scan it?

Trying Drweb CD now see what it tells me

Shame about Avira, before it started scanning,did you tick the box, 'rename files,if they cannot be repaired '
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=730130#post730130

Mjd0116

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:57:06 AM »
Yep Did that and ran it twice on full scan, Just go back home now

Checking on DrWeb see if that helped now.

Mjd0116

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 05:22:11 AM »
Nope still does the Login loop, Maybe if I try to Repair windows now.

If not Tuesday = Pay Day = New HD

Mjd0116

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 11:27:03 PM »
Currently Have it Slaved to a new HD on my friend CPU, didnt want to buy a new HD just yet, and I have Avast scanning it, see if it finds anything.

I think I might just burn what I can to a DVD-R and then just format it.

Though here is where I run into my CD key problem I have the CD key on the inside of my PC but No disk, still cant find it

My friend has his CD but my key wont work with his disk as I found out when trying to just Repair Install Windows

What should I do? I want a working Valid Windows on my PC  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
I have the CD key on the inside of my PC but No disk, still cant find it
I'm not sure it discovers outside from the running windows (i.e., the master HDD) but it says it could...
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
The best things in life are free.

Mjd0116

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:41 AM »
I'll have to give it a try Like I said though I have the Sticker with the CD key for my XP Pro it was on the inside of my PC case

But last time I tried to do a Windows Repair Install it wouldn't accept my CD key because it was my Friends XP Pro disk