Author Topic: RPC Error  (Read 5445 times)

trichva

RPC Error
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »
Hello,

My home edition  was set to expire so I received a new licence key.  After going through the steps my computer had several issues.  I couldn't reach many links nor could I get into my Yahoo e-mail account.  I did a system restore and things seemed to go back to normal.  Unfortunatley, I now have a red slash going through my Avast logo at the bottom of the screen.  When I attempt to enter the license key again I get an RPC error.  Any suggestions on how I should move forward?  Right now I'm unprotected.

Thanks!

cod head

Re: RPC Error
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »
I think I would go for uninstall Avast and then reinstall it.Once you have done that re enter your license key.If problem persists after reinstalling post back. ;).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:21:28 PM by cod head »

trichva

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 06:11:01 PM »
Unfortunately, I can't seem to remove nor can I re-install it?  When I try to remove it I get a Setiface Error.  (Not sure what that is.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »
Basically it means there is something wrong with your installation a clean reinstall should hopefully resolve it.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that as in your case, start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dsch1_osh

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:11:40 AM »
I had the exact same problem after a system restore and ubable to add/delete program from my computer.

The only problem I had was after i saved the uninstaller on my desktop and rebooting in Safe Mode, it did not appear on desktop. I did a search for it, believe asl.... something it was saved as and ran it from the search list.

THANKS David!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:24:42 AM »
I had the exact same problem after a system restore and ubable to add/delete program from my computer.

The only problem I had was after i saved the uninstaller on my desktop and rebooting in Safe Mode, it did not appear on desktop. I did a search for it, believe asl.... something it was saved as and ran it from the search list.

THANKS David!!!
Do you have any other antivirus in your computer?
Why couldn't you install and use avast in your computer?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:29:36 AM »

THANKS David!!!

You're welcome.

System Restore can have some unpredictable/unexpected results which is why I wouldn't rely on it 100%.

As for saving the uninstall utility to the desktop (I would say you should have saved it to a fixed location like (C:\Downloads or something imaginative like that) as the desktop is a user specific area and when you boot into safe mode I don't know if you used the same account, if you didn't then you wouldn't see it on your desktop.

It would be somewhere in the C:\Documents and Settings user area, like C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\aswClear.exe

So I presume that you having found it from the search that it ran successfully and you are nor reinstalled and OK, or I guess you would have said ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

trichva

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:22:09 AM »
Basically it means there is something wrong with your installation a clean reinstall should hopefully resolve it.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that as in your case, start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

I know this is a really dumb question, but what is the HDD?  Right now I have the Uninstall Utility saved to my desktop.  When I try to run it from there I get an error stating that the Avast Self-Protection module is enabled and the operation can't be completed.  BTW: Thanks for the help!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »
I know this is a really dumb question, but what is the HDD?
Hard Disk Drive, your fixed disk, your winchester.

Right now I have the Uninstall Utility saved to my desktop.  When I try to run it from there I get an error stating that the Avast Self-Protection module is enabled and the operation can't be completed.  BTW: Thanks for the help!!!
To temporarily disable the avast self defense module:
1. Right click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
2. Programs settings > Troubleshooting (tab)
3. Disable self defense module

dsch1_osh

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »
Right now I have the Uninstall Utility saved to my desktop.  When I try to run it from there I get an error stating that the Avast Self-Protection module is enabled and the operation can't be completed.  BTW: Thanks for the help!!!

I tried to disable Self- Protection module this way to no avail.  You will have to start your computer in safe mode and  run the uninstall program. To start safemode upon booting up press F8 before it reaches Windows program. Use your arrow key and scroll up to SAFE MODE, then hit enter.

Since you have it saved on your desktop like I did. Hit your START button then SEARCH. Under files and folders do a search for asw. Double click on the Ininstall file and let it run. Then when complete, takes couple of minutes, REBOOT and will go back to normal mode. Then reinstall avast, enter your new product key and you should be all set :)

trichva

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »
I know this is a really dumb question, but what is the HDD?
Hard Disk Drive, your fixed disk, your winchester.

Even going to the program setting and troubleshooting area I can't disable the self-defense mode.  After I hit the ok link and run the removal program I still get a message stating that the self-defense is still operational.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »
You shouldn't have to disable the self-defence module, that is why I said to run the uninstall utility from safe mode. avast doesn't run in safe mode and that obviously includes the self-defence module.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »
On safe mode, just run the uninstaller to remove avast.