Author Topic: avast not in my tray area, help me.  (Read 8750 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast not in my tray area, help me.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
Task manager is still saying only ashDisp.exe there.
What about ashServ.exe, ashMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »
When I turned the computer on this morning the icon was missing again so tried all the tricks to get it back but no luck. Did 2 restarts & still nothing.  I have Vista & according to the Security Centre it says Avast is up to date & Virus scanning is on & under Spyware & other Malware it says Windows Defender & Avast Antivirus are both turned on.  

When you say you have done all the tricks, then I suggest that you disable the S&D resident protection as the Tea-Timer could be killing the ashDisp.exe as that has a startup blocking function (which really annoys the h*ll out of me because it doesn't tell the user it is blocking). Either that or see what is in the S&D quarantine or tea-timer settings.

Sorry I'm about as much use as a chocolate teapot as I abandoned S&D years ago in preference of SuperAntiSpyware (which you have) and also MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM), both of which I believe have better detection than S&D, but no resident function in the free versions. Though I believe windows defender has resident protection so that should cover than and you should also check if it too could be blocking the loading of the ashDisp.exe.

Task manager is still saying only ashDisp.exe there.  I am currently using the computer at the local library as not game to use mine till this is resolved.  Will see if my neighbour who has broadband can download Avast again for me.   Think other programs are running ok.  Of the security based software u asked Camlynn about I have Spybot S & D & SuperAntiSpyware

If the task manager is saying ashDisp.exe is there but not shown, check that it isn't hidden, in winXP there is an arrow < on the task bar (not sure if that is the same in Vista), clicking that shows hidden tray icons.

Download this tool Process Explorer (see below) and that should show accurately what processes that are running, so you should be able to see exactly what avast processes that are running. If that shows all the previously mentioned avast processes are running, then this only confirms that there is something wrong with the Vista Task Manager, unfortunately I can't help with that I don't use Vista.

System Internals http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx, has a number of tools, ProcessXP is in the Process Utilities section.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:29:49 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »
Thank for your perserverance David,  much appreciated.   Have downloaded Process Explorer & will run it later & let u know what it shows if I can understand it.  Weird this morning the icon was not there again (& yes I did check the hidden icons 1st) restarted & back it came & the auto update popped up too.  A 1st for nearly a week.  Will download MalwareBytes & get rid of Spybot & see what happens.  Must say I prefer XP too but not given a choice when I got a new computer.  Should be back on tomorrow.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 11:01:23 PM »
Task manager is still saying only ashDisp.exe there.
What about ashServ.exe, ashMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe?
Kiwi... what about my question?

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 01:47:11 AM »
Apologies Tech,  did not reply as had already told DavidR nothing else was showing up on the Task Manager.  Now pleased to say after downloading "The Process Explorer" & checking all the processes u both mentioned,  they all show up.  As David suggested there must be a problem with "The Task Manager" so will check with Windows Support about that.

Must say I am very relieved all seems to be in order.  Have also disabled the Spybot S & D resident protection as suggested so now have to hope the icon stays in the system tray.   Started to download MalwareBytes but the signal got too slow so cut off.  will go try again now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 08:16:23 PM »
Kiwi-cass, if you need further help, just let us know.

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 09:10:50 PM »
Many thanks to u both for all your help.  Have uninstalled Spybot S & D & now have MalwareBytes installed so will update it shortly.  Checked Task Manager & still only the one entry showing ashDisp.exe. so will query Windows support about that.  Great to have all u people to help us oldies that are not too computer savy.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
Your welcome, good luck with Microsoft.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security