Author Topic: avast not in my tray area, help me.  (Read 8749 times)

camlynn

avast not in my tray area, help me.
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
using avast 4.8 home and have checked tray in appearances, but nothing shows up there. I have restarted app. and updated and restarted pc. Using Windows XP Home. There is no "a" ball in tray.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast not in my tray area, help me.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't work - avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gben01

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:09:12 AM »
I just registered to say that this morning I also was having the problem of a missing tray icon, except my zone alarm firewall icon was ALSO missing. I was freaked out, thinking that I was compromised by a virus.

When I first checked the taskbar, I couldn't see either program so I started to download the programs again. I had just installed zone alarm, when I discovered this thread...

The repair option worked for me, but I just completed a boot scan to be sure and it's clean apparently. I well probably do a kaspersky online scan overnight, just to get a second opinion though.

I'm posting because I thought I would add this extra information, when I booted my winxp comp this morning it said there was an adobe flash update ready to install, which I did. I didn't notice at the time whether the other icons were loaded so I can't confirm it's unrelated. But I thought it was worth a mention.

Unless kaspersky finds something else overnight, my problem is resolved.

Ben.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:52:14 AM by gben01 »

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:46:41 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Ben.   :)

Thanks for posting.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.

EDIT for spelling correction.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:57:40 AM by CharleyO »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Ben, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
Glad to see it's not just me having that problem.  I thought with all the help u gave me weeks ago I had the problem sorted but it happened again yesterday & did not notice till I was on line so had to log off quickly.   I had to go through the rigmarole I used before to get the icon back so when I logged back in decided to try & download avast again.  With dial-up was slow going & thought I was going to make it in the 4 hours I get.   Had just checked & still had 48 minutes to go & about 2 minutes later saw it had finished.  It is on the desktop & saying 24.7MB so have I got it all or did it cut off with a slow download speed.   Was averaging about 2.54kbps.   It said about 27.9MB on the web site.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
Remember the system tray icon isn't the physical protection, just the interface to the settings and functions, etc. Check the task manager and see that avast is running, with the exception of the ashDisp.exe the icon function, you should have ashServ.exe, the main scanning engine, ashMaiSv.exe, the email scanner (only if you actually have it enabled), ashWebSv.exe the web shield and finally the aswUpdSv.exe the avast update service.

So there is no need to break into a sweat just because it isn't there confirm avast is running before breaking into a lather.

There really shouldn't be a need to reinstall at the drop of a hat there are other options that you should do first, especially with dial-up and a 27MB download. If your downloaded file is much different then it could well be a failed download and from what you say it looks like that.

So you should follow the procedures as laid out in my first reply, none of which require you to download, if all else failed then we would consider a clean reinstall. However, it depends on why it happened in the first place, if it were another program responsible then a reinstall may simply have the same happen again.

So start from square one, read my first reply try what is suggested and answer the questions asked and we can start from there.

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:35:25 PM »
Thanks David,  will try your advice when I log off.  Did it all weeks ago though.  Checked Task manager & the only one I can see running of the ones u listed is ashDisp.exe.   The previous occasion they were all showing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:41:41 PM »
Thanks David,  will try your advice when I log off.  Did it all weeks ago though.  Checked Task manager & the only one I can see running of the ones u listed is ashDisp.exe.   The previous occasion they were all showing.

Well based in the Topic Title that you tagged this on to "avast not in my tray area," your answer was the last thing I suspected as the icon should most certainly be there. Your problem isn't related to the original posters but, more serious avast isn't running.

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »
Now that is scary as the icon is currently showing in the s/tray & merrily turning away.  When I think about it don't think I saw the updated window pop up this morning.  Definately did yesterday & have not touched anything since then.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Well that is most certainly strange as it would be physically impossible for the icon to rotate, an indication that scanning is occurring and that can't happen without at least the ashServ.exe running.

So I suggest you check the task manager again and report what avast (beginning with ash or asw) processes are running.

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »
Logged off & back on again & still the same.  Only the ashdisp showing.  Putting the mouse over the icon it says " on access scanner, 6 running" & manually updated & that went ok.   Think I should log off & try the repair,  what do u think?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »
Logged off & back on again & still the same.  Only the ashdisp showing.  Putting the mouse over the icon it says " on access scanner, 6 running" & manually updated & that went ok.   Think I should log off & try the repair,  what do u think?
Most probably the 'missing' 7th provider is the Outlook plugin, that is only running if MS Outlook (not the Express) is running. Your installation seems ok.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:01:04 AM »
Logged off & back on again & still the same.  Only the ashdisp showing.  Putting the mouse over the icon it says " on access scanner, 6 running" & manually updated & that went ok.   Think I should log off & try the repair,  what do u think?

Repair won't do anything as everything appears to be running other than for what ever reason the avast processes not showing in task manager and that isn't something a repair would have any effect on.

So there is or would appear to be something wrong with the task manager/windows not displaying avast processes, though what you can do about that is beyond my experience. I just wonder if there are any other programs that aren't showing up in the task manager.

Kiwi-cass

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 03:32:02 AM »
When I turned the computer on this morning the icon was missing again so tried all the tricks to get it back but no luck. Did 2 restarts & still nothing.  I have Vista & according to the Security Centre it says Avast is up to date & Virus scanning is on & under Spyware & other Malware it says Windows Defender & Avast Antivirus are both turned on.   

Task manager is still saying only ashDisp.exe there.  I am currently using the computer at the local library as not game to use mine till this is resolved.  Will see if my neighbour who has broadband can download Avast again for me.   Think other programs are running ok.  Of the security based software u asked Camlynn about I have Spybot S & D & SuperAntiSpyware