Author Topic: Need to start Avast! twice?!  (Read 3594 times)

WebMaximus

Need to start Avast! twice?!
« on: March 11, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »
Hi,

Lately I've been having a strange issue with Avast! HOME, for some reason when I start the program the normal dialog pops up saying the memory is scanned but then after that is completed when you usually get to the main program interface instead I only get the blue spinning circle you get in Vista when you're waiting for something in the background and then after a couple of seconds the spinning circle returns to the normal arrow cursor and nothing happens...Avast! never launches. BUT...if I then doubleclick the Avast! icon once more this time everything works just like normal and the main Avast! interface shows after the memory scan is complete.

Anyone else seen this or have a clue what the problem is? I'm running Avast! under Vista Ultimate 64bit version and I have tried reinstalling Avast! but problem remains.

Thanks in advance for any input!

//Richard

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Need to start Avast! twice?!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:39:46 PM »
Can you run ashSimp2.exe from avast folder?
Did you have any other antivirus in this computer in the past? How did you uninstall it?
The best things in life are free.

rbeane

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »
Same thing happens to me under vista32.  It has been happening for many versions of Avast home.  I just noticed yesterday that it happens when I have outlook 2007 open.  Avast tests memory then disappears.  The interface doesn't come up.  If I close outlook, avast opens up. 

It seems to be related to the avast outlook/exchange component at least for me.

WebMaximus

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »
Just tried executing ashsimp2.exe which gives me the very same behavior. When I run it the first time I get the spinning waiting circle in Vista and then nothing more happens and Avast! never starts but when running it next time Avast! starts right away and then it starts just fine every time I run the ashsimp2.exe file - it's only the very first time I get this strange problem with Avast! not starting (or at least not showing the user interface).

No, I haven't had any other AV program installed and this Vista installation is also a very fresh installation with all MS security updates etc.

When I uninstalled Avast! trying to get rid of this problem I first uninstalled it the normal way using the Program and Features under Control Panel and then I also manually deleted everything related to Alwil/Avast! in the Registry and I did the same on a file level making sure there were no left-overs and then I finally rebooted my computer before installing Avast! again and I also downloaded the latest setup file from Avast.com.

This isn't really a big problem, just feels a bit annoying and strange why you need to run Avast! two times whenever you want to use it... :-\

victhepiper

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »
I have exact same issue on XP sp 3.  Any resolution on this yet?  No other av software here.  Outlook is not used.  Happens every time.  Clicking "Start avast! Antivirus" launches memory scan then user interface will not appear until launching a second time.

WebMaximus

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 04:06:11 PM »
I switched to Windows 7 RC since posting this so I don't have the problem anymore, Avast! works just fine now.

sharko

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 02:18:30 AM »
Ok, this might work.

Copy and paste this

SunbeltKPFHack=2

and then open avast4.ini by searching it up in the avast directory and putting it under  Commonand then save it. Avast might ask like warning kinda thing where something is changing its files and say yes. and ur god. i dun know what it means but it was posted long time ago.