Author Topic: Do you know where Avast! is developed?  (Read 5588 times)

Bob Anderson

Do you know where Avast! is developed?
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I saw this pop up this morning, which is fine. The opening sentence could be improved. It reads

'avast! antivirus is used by more than 75 million people world-wide, but is based in the beautiful city of Prague, capital of the Czech republic.'

The use of the word 'but' is not correct in this context, and the sentence needs switching around to get the most important idea first:

'Avast! antivirus is based in the beautiful city of Prague, capital of the Czech Republic. Avast! is used by more than 75 million people world- wide.'

I'm not picking on the translator, it's just that I was an editor among other things for thirty years.

No charge  ;D

-Bob   

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:54:45 PM by Bob Anderson »

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Do you know where Avast! is developed?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »
Avast has a lot of supported languages. I'm curious if this little mistake is present in others as well.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »
I agree with the error reporting.
The iNews are released only in English, no translation at all.
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
hmh,

That is curios. The website does have support for different languages. I thought they would translate the news in all those languages. Any reason why, apart from time and resources.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »

I saw what Bob mentioned above but, knowing that the native language in Prague is not English, I attributed the wording and sentence structure to that fact.

Anyway, it is better than some major publications these days that are native English.
Still, Bob has a good point.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
I saw an orange box similar in size to the blue box when I receive a VPS update.
Is this the one we are talking about here?

If it is does this show every time we boot up? if so why has this only started today?

Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:37:28 PM »
1. it is what we are talking about the iNews function.
2. because the news was released so it go out to users after an update check as if there is any iNews entry it would be downloaded. It shouldn't appear on exch boot unless after an update check there is some new news.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:32:04 PM »
Oh, that's no problem then, thanks for that.

:)
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Bob Anderson

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:25:49 PM »

I saw what Bob mentioned above but, knowing that the native language in Prague is not English, I attributed the wording and sentence structure to that fact.

Anyway, it is better than some major publications these days that are native English.
Still, Bob has a good point.

Oh yeah. The person who wrote the item has nothing to be concerned about. The quality of written English in Canada is pathetic. Time after time I have seen it demonstrated that those who learned English as a second language have much better writing skills than native speakers. I'm not talking about English on the Internet which is really a new dialect of the young.

In any case, the editing point I was making in my original post is that the first sentence or the first very short paragraph must state the important point immediately and the sentence must never be conditional by using 'but'.

-Bob

Mike Buxton

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:27:52 PM »
Bob,

To me, 75,000,000 + is the most important fact. However, I am pleased that Prague is a beautiful city.

I also appreciate good English but even more do I applaud the software and the concise and clear information.

My regards

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:49:25 PM »
Bob,

To me, 75,000,000 + is the most important fact. However, I am pleased that Prague is a beautiful city.

I also appreciate good English but even more do I applaud the software and the concise and clear information.

My regards

I don't believe Bob was insinuating anything concerning the quality of the software. He was just pointing out  that there was room for improvement in the announcement.

Oh yeah. The person who wrote the item has nothing to be concerned about. The quality of written English in Canada is pathetic. Time after time I have seen it demonstrated that those who learned English as a second language have much better writing skills than native speakers.

I would like to disagree with this statement. I'm a non-native English speaker and my witting skills are not much better than others. However I'm not exactly an expert so I admit that I can be mistaken.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »
Just a side note. If the panel does not go away automatically, a lot of users could see the iNews when they come back to the computer... I've missed the first two ones and only see this one because it arose when I was in front of the computer.
The best things in life are free.