Author Topic: Spybot S&D not recommended anymore?  (Read 16718 times)

Mr.Agent

Re: Spybot S&D not recommended anymore?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 11:01:44 PM »
Well i got a anti virus,firewall,anti spyware + security center of vista + windows update turned on (i updated my windows defender right now because the windows update are a bit long so :)) i think i didnt have to worry about that i will rarely now go on some web of cheat (i hate the cheater now sry if i offensed some guy lol) + i will rarely go in msn because im busy a lot on some game i got some friend in my game.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »
i agree with you but when a user got anti virus,firewall,anti spyware i think its good

Yeah, it's good, (if the applications are good, and the system set up to be resilient) (and the user isn't click-happy) but it's not foolproof. And it would be a mistake to think it is.

All should be backed up (excuse the pun) by a robust back-up and Recovery Strategy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr.Agent

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 12:25:16 AM »
well when its the time to back up i will sure to do that but for now i got good thing on my cpu for protect it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 01:33:33 AM »
It isn't just virus infection that a back-up & recovery strategy is for, corruption, hard disk failure being just two.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 01:35:46 AM »
Hi DavidR,

Incremental back-ups every Friday, please,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 01:48:26 AM »
Daily data back-ups using a little tool called mirror created a batch file and I click on it a couple of times a day.

This does all my data files, like documents, spreadsheets, emails, email account details, registration keys, address book, favourites/bookmarks, downloaded files/programs, etc. the list goes on and on but if you don't want to lose it back it up. There are many back-up programs that can simplify this task and run it every day.

I do a weekly 'full' image of my partitions and save them to a 2nd hard disk, they can also be saved to off-line storage, DVD, USB external hard disk, etc. as part of my weekly system maintenance.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 07:10:58 AM »
I back up weekly to a Seagate 500Gb external HD, using Karens Replicator.
Pretty much essential practice, I agree.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 09:56:39 AM »
I guess that everyone has their opinion on what works best. When I set up a Windows OS, my witches brew of layered protection includes:

ZoneAlarm Free
avast! Home
SpywareBlaster (passive)
Windows Defender (active)
Ad-Aware (on demand)
Spybot (on demand)

(All of the components have been around for a while, but they seem to work well together.)

Then, most importantly, I kindly tell them, that they're on their own. They need to learn what they are, how they work, and how to update them. When they gain confidence in working with a Windows OS, if they think there's something newer and better out there, they can add/subtract components of the protection package as they deem fit.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 11:41:31 AM »
It isn't just virus infection that a back-up & recovery strategy is for, corruption, hard disk failure being just two.

I know i will do that when its will be the time but for now all are ok :D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 12:56:17 AM »
"The time" is basically when you have anything on the computer that would cause you inconvenience (beyond the inconvenience of a re-install) if you lost it forever.
eg photos
Address book
Saved passwords etc
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 06:46:09 AM »
I still use Spybot S&D for Immunization (on IE only) and its System Startup tool.  I also use its Resident "SDHelper", which is really part of the immunization system, if I recall correctly.  It also includes a handy File Shredder tool, which can be run as a separate program without having to run Spybot S&D.

I'll run a scan occasionally, just to verify I haven't picked up anything in its database.  Most of my protection comes from practicing "safe hex".

Edit: I'm still getting to know WinPatrol.  I've started using its Startup Programs to view and control my startups instead of Spybot S&D.  Will see how that goes.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:30:35 AM by Alan Baxter »

CharleyO

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 07:07:46 AM »

Same here as Alan Baxter as to Spybot S&D.

EDIT :

Except that I do not use Winpatol. Instead, I use What's Running to control start-up programs as well as viewing other information about these programs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:19:39 PM by CharleyO »

Mr.Agent

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 11:48:09 AM »
"The time" is basically when you have anything on the computer that would cause you inconvenience (beyond the inconvenience of a re-install) if you lost it forever.
eg photos
Address book
Saved passwords etc

Dont worry when i will get CENSORED  up by a virus i will do what u say for now like i said its all ok

Admin: Grrrr  >:(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:24:02 PM by kubecj »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »
Dont worry when i will get *** by a virus i will do what u say for now like i said its all ok
Language please...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:38:11 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »
eg photos
Address book
Saved passwords etc

Right.  But often a user needs to experience a severe data loss at least once before becoming a believer in backups.  The message has been delivered eloquently.  Mr.Agent can do with it what he will.