Author Topic: Avast just disappears from the screen during scan  (Read 7555 times)

ventiman

Avast just disappears from the screen during scan
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:28:13 PM »
 Avast just disappears from the screen when im doing a big scan from a usb drive.

My system is a  Granular Linux 1.0  with  3.5.10 KDE

Ive been forced to use avg's  but i don't like it  as well.. as it makes you  manually  hunt to delete the  infections.. yuck.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast just disappears from the screen during scan
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:02:19 PM »
Does the scanning freeze? Or just the interface disappear and the process is not even there?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes/disappears)?

You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.
The best things in life are free.

wallie

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:12:33 PM »
Avast just disappears from the screen when im doing a big scan from a usb drive.

My system is a  Granular Linux 1.0  with  3.5.10 KDE

Ive been forced to use avg's  but i don't like it  as well.. as it makes you  manually  hunt to delete the  infections.. yuck.

I've had a similar problem, may be you have the same problem?

Here is the link with my forum thread:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=43252.0

ventiman

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »
Does the scanning freeze? Or just the interface disappear and the process is not even there?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes/disappears)?

interface disappears and the process is gone
 Yes theres hard disk activity  and then soon  poof avast disappears

You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

Ok I will try the creation of the report file

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.

ventiman

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:22:18 AM »

Yes mines pretty  similar most of all the drives I try to scan with it I chose the /media/disk1/ etc
   And all the  drives I scan or try to are always  ntfs drives.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »

Yes mines pretty  similar most of all the drives I try to scan with it I chose the /media/disk1/ etc
   And all the  drives I scan or try to are always  ntfs drives.

Hallo,
use "avast" instead of "avastgui" - probably, it will crash too, but... at least, you'll see what was the last scanned area, and you'll be able to identify the particular culprit-file.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)