Author Topic: Avast! Deleting my Cookie?!?!?!  (Read 9284 times)

kaswar

Avast! Deleting my Cookie?!?!?!
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:24:29 AM »
 >:(

Hi there Its been awhile and i realized that my cookies are not getting constantly saved. A friend told me the problem is Avast! so is there anyway i can disable avast! removing my IE7 cookies? Thank you!!!

normishmael

Re: Avast! Deleting my Cookie?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:17:10 AM »
Hey kaswar!
Even though Avast! has a anti-spyware component,I really do not thank that extends to cookie wrangling.
I do not thank Avast deleted your cookies.
Do you use any kind of "cleaner" program such as CCleaner, Advanced WindowsCare,
or ATF-Cleaner?
These tend to remove cookies if they are not saved.
Do you use SpywareBlaster?
Otherwise as I do not use IE,someone else can address its settings for cookie survival,but I am pretty sure its not AVAST! that is removing them.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 06:00:10 AM »
avast does not know what cookies are and does not care about them, prevent them or delete them.

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:51:05 AM »

Welcome to the forums, kaswar.   :)

Check your settings in IE7.

Tools > Internet Options > Privacy Tab > Move slider to Medium setting first.

If that does not suit you, try the slider on Low. But, I would advice against moving the slider below Low.

kaswar

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
Thank you all for Replying  ;D

I do not have any other cleaner programs but I use to have SpyBot Search and destroy which i know that deletes cookies so i uninstalled it to check.

My other programs are Norton Synamatic anti virus and ZoneAlarm.

Any that would conflict with my cookies?

I also checked my internet settings and I changed the settings to Accept First party cookies,  Block Third party cookies and Always Allow cookie sessions.

Maybe that will do it? i don't know.  Just to be safe i uninstalled Avast! just to see if it does anything  :-*

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »
Norton Synamatic anti virus
Just to be safe i uninstalled Avast! just to see if it does anything  :-*
Man... two antivirus will conflict in the computer and sooner or later you'll have deep trouble.
Choose, or NAV or avast.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »
Hi there Its been awhile and i realized that my cookies are not getting constantly saved. A friend told me the problem is Avast! so is there anyway i can disable avast! removing my IE7 cookies? Thank you!!!

avast doesn't delete anything automatically without user input (pro version excepted and then the user would still have had to have pre-set what action to take). So if avast had any interaction it would be because it found them infected and you would have chosen to delete. Both of which I find hard to imagine.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kaswar

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
Maybe it isn't avast.  You guys can decide if you want to keep helping or not but after i uninstalled avast! the cookie problems still appear,   I went back to my original set up of protection and av which is N Symanetc AV and Windows Fire Wall

But the troubles are still appearing  ??? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 07:15:31 PM »
As David said, avast does not manage cookies.
Maybe some addon of your browser, any privacy tools you have installed, a cleaner program, maybe now some setting of Norton...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »
Maybe it isn't avast.  You guys can decide if you want to keep helping or not but after i uninstalled avast! the cookie problems still appear,   I went back to my original set up of protection and av which is N Symanetc AV and Windows Fire Wall

But the troubles are still appearing  ??? ???

Well basically that just confirms what I said no avast involvement.

However, your comment of NAV as your previous AV could well have a hand in this as it gets its hooks into all sorts and even when uninstalled frequently leaves remnants that can have weird effects.

I would suggest you uninstall NAV and then run this removal too before installing avast again.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security