Author Topic: Outlook 2007 crashes  (Read 9464 times)

charlieh

Outlook 2007 crashes
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:58:57 PM »
we are having problems with Outlook 2007 (Office Small Business with Business Contact Manager) and after many long hours spent on the phone with Microsoft they say the problem is with our Avast settings. (4.8 Professional)

We have three computers with XP Pro and Microsoft Office Small Business with Business contact Manager. We have only had them up and running for about 6 weeks. At first there were no problems but now Outlook keeps disappearing from our screens. Sometimes there is an error message (outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close) and sometimes nothing, outlook is just gone. Microsoft say the problem is with my Avast settings and to try changing them.

Can anyone please help me find out what our settings should be and how to correct them?

Thanks,

Charlie H

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:04:26 PM by charlieh »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Outlook 2007 crashes
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
I use Business Contact Manager and avast Pro and my Outlook 2007, thanks God, is not crashing.
Couldn't it be any other security program or email filter (spam)?

Check the folder <avast>\data\log
Are there any files called unpXXXX (where XXXX is a random number) or *.mdmp there?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast.com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).
The best things in life are free.

charlieh

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »

Avast is the only security software on our systems at present.

Yes there were a heap of the files you mentioned (unpXXXX and*.mdmp). I've forwarded them to Avast and am awaiting a reply.

Many thanks for responding, I'm rather clueless!  ???

Charlie H

charlieh

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »
Just wanted to ask the question: Does it normally take this long?

We got an email from support 3 days ago asking us to forward the error and setup logs and I did that immediately. We have not heard anything since then and my inquiry email goes unanswered. I realize the tech staff must be very busy but our small business is suffering. We are very frustrated and know that harrassing them with emails will probably not get our problem fixed any sooner. Does anyone know another way we can get help for our problem?

Many thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »
This is indeed a strange issue. Can you please have a look in the Windows event viewer (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer) and find the entries corresponding to these Outlook crashes?

What do they say, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

charlieh

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:53:06 AM »
Hello Vik,

There are lots of Warning entries which say that the outlook session was terminated unexpectedly and also lots of Error entries which say that outlook ended with a crash.

It is a slow process since we are so far apart but tech help are looking at the problem. They have looked at a hijackthis logfile from this laptop and have asked me to remove old remnants of ZoneAlarm, Bitdefender, Kapersky and Toshiba Protector Suite. I removed Zonealarm and Kapersky using the Add/Remove Hardware wizard but I can't find Bitdefender even with a search. Can you tell me how I can locate and remove it?

Also I haven't removed Toshiba Protector Suite because from what I can google if I remove it my fingerprint scanner will be disabled and I love this feature! Of course I'll remove it if absolutely necessary but I don't think it is the problem. Our other two computers are also experiencing the same crashes and they are both 4 weeks old and have never had any other antivirus software installed other than Avast Professional. One of them is a also a toshiba laptop with a fingerprint scanner.

???

I appreciate your interest in my problem.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:41:04 AM »
There are lots of Warning entries which say that the outlook session was terminated unexpectedly and also lots of Error entries which say that outlook ended with a crash.

Please open one or two of these and copy'n'paste exactly what it says (including the "Data" section).
BTW what operating system are you using?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

charlieh

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:18:40 AM »
This laptop is a toshiba A100/VOO windows xp (SP3) 3 years old
2nd laptop is a toshiba A300/P01 Windows xp, 4 weeks old
3rd is custom build with windows xp, 4 weeks old

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Microsoft Office 12 Sessions
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7001
Date:      23/03/2009
Time:      2:56:32 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   GG03
Description:
ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outlook, Application Version: 12.0.6316.5000, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.6215.1000. This session lasted 112 seconds with 0 seconds of active time.  This session ended with a crash.

Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   Microsoft Office 12 Sessions
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7003
Date:      23/03/2009
Time:      2:54:43 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   GG03
Description:
ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outlook, Application Version: 12.0.6316.5000, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.6215.1000. This session was terminated unexpectedly.

charlieh

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »
Still no luck with our problem.

I didn't mention before that all three computers are on a cable LAN. The desktop has a Business Contact Manager database on it and the two toshiba laptops have permission to access and update the database. Could that be causing avast to freak out and shut everything down?