Author Topic: TWEAKUI and HP Image Zone Express  (Read 12236 times)

Avastfan1

TWEAKUI and HP Image Zone Express
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:30:07 PM »
Dear Forum,

Can anyone advise how to remove these two programs (entries) TWEAKUI and HP Image Zone Express from the add or remove programs menu?

When I click remove for HP Image Zone Express nothing happens.

When I click on remove for TWEAKUI a blank white window box opens with res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\TweakUI.exe /uninstall.hta in the header but nothing happens.

Please help!

Avastfan1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: TWEAKUI and HP Image Zone Express
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:36:02 PM »
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 could allow cleaning program entries.
Or you can use Revo Uninstaller.
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
Have you previously removed these items, or is this the first time trying to remove them?

I'd look to see if there is a uninstall utility in the program files folder for these programs.  (ex. C:\Program Files\HP\uninstall.exe or unwize.exe, etc.)

If there isn't one, I'd try one of two things.  Download MSIZAP utility from microsoft, and see if you can remove it that way, or use RegCleaner by Jouni Vuoro located here: http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm

Once you install, and open that program, you can go to the "Uninstall Menu" Tab, and remove anything you want, and it will forcefully remove the info from the registry.  It may be an unclean way to remove it, but it will get rid of anything you don't want in your Add/Remove Programs list!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Avastfan1

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:49:13 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for your replies!

I'll report back once I've had a go at your suggestions.

Avastfan1

Avastfan1

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »
Update: I think I removed HP Image Zone Express successfully!

It's a right laugh though how I did it!! HAHA

I installed HP Photosmart Essential 1.9 which I think somehow automatically superseded HP Image Zone Express.

I then promptly uninstalled HP Photosmart Essential 1.9 and both entries are now gone from the add or remove programs!!

The only thing is that I still have two directories in C:\Programs being:

- HP/Digital Imaging and HP/HP Software Update and HP/Non Driver CIO Components

AND

- Hewlett-Packard/HPZ and Hewlett-Packard/upapp

Can I safely manually delete all of these directories?

There are no items in the add or remove programs list?!?!?!

Thanks!!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
If they are no longer in your add/remove programs list, and there are no configuration files that you would like to keep, then yes you can safely remove the folders.

For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Avastfan1

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »
Hi Scythe,

I successfully removed all the HP rubbish on my computer. Thanks for your assistance.

For the TWEAKUI thing I am trying to work up the courage to use Revo Uninstaller, the MS clean-up application or RegCleaner.

Because I'm an old-school DOS man, I get very nervous when it comes to editing the registry :(

Extremely loathe to run an MS tool as well. Most of the things they serve up are rubbish!

I will come back to you when I finally work out what to do :O

Thanks!

Avastfan1

PS: Thanks to the contributions from all!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 03:46:33 PM »
Extremely loathe to run an MS tool as well. Most of the things they serve up are rubbish!
The tool I've posted work, you can delete the Add/Remove entry.
The RevoUninstaller will do the same and also search the disk for leftovers (registry keys and files).

Avastfan1

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
Hello Tech,

Thanks for the response. My apologies for the subsequent question.

How safe is RevoUninstaller to use for a newbie like me? Is there a high danger of causing serious damage to the system?

Thanks!

Avastfan1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »
How safe is RevoUninstaller to use for a newbie like me? Is there a high danger of causing serious damage to the system?
Not a serious danger. I have never had a problem using the default level of cleaning (Moderate).
There are four levels, from easy to deep one. Moderate is level 3 and I think it's safe. You can use a lower level either.

Avastfan1

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:19:40 PM »
Hi Tech,

Thank you for the response. I shall download the program and give it a try.

I was wondering by the way how you fared with your the IE8 installation which went balls-up on the XP machine?

It resulted in me exercising extreme caution in updating Shiternet Explorer. I think I will continue to use version 7 to manually update Window$.

Regards,

Avastfan1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »
I was wondering by the way how you fared with your the IE8 installation which went balls-up on the XP machine?
The hard way... formatting the system partition (I always have data and documents in another one), installing Windows again, updating, etc. etc.

Avastfan1

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
Hi Tech and Scythe,

Is http://www.revouninstaller.com/ the official website for Revo Uninstaller?

With so much malware and other rubbish around I would hate to download it from a rogue site.

Thanks!

Avastfan1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »

Avastfan1

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
Dear Tech,

Revo Uninstaller successfully removed the Tweak UI entry. It found, and deleted, two related registry items and the entry in the add/remove programs list.

Thank you again for your patience and time. Thanks also to Scythe and the other lads on the forum!

You all do a really great job helping us newbies muddle our way through. Keep up the smashing work and have a great week!

Best wishes,

Avastfan1