Author Topic: Avast & Outlook Express?  (Read 2804 times)

RedHedd

Avast & Outlook Express?
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:10:51 PM »
Just installed Avast yesterday after AVG Free wreaked havoc on my system.

I'm poking around trying to figure out how to set up Avast scanning for Outlook Express.

Where is this E-mail Security Wizard located?  I've poked around my system and the Avast software and cannot find it.  How DO I set up Avast to scan my e-mail properly?

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast & Outlook Express?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »
I use OE6 SP3 and have no problems.

What is your OS ?
If it isn't win9x, winME, then the mail protection wizard isn't required as it works transparently.

There are however, some provisos, like are you using SSL/TLS secure encrypted email ?
Looking at your email I take it that you use at&t and as far as I'm aware they use SSL email on ports 995 for secure POP3 and 465 for secure SMTP email. avast only monitors ports 25, 110, 119 and 143, the standard non-encrypted ports, so that is why they aren't being scanned.

You can use STunnel as a third party tool to have avast scan SSL email, though you would need to set that up. From avast 5.0 due in July I believe will support SSL email in the email protection.

Ensure that all remnants of avg are removed even after an uninstall (windows add remove programs) some elements may remain - AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and check for email, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:36:34 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RedHedd

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »
WinXP Home SP3, Yes, AT&T

Did a complete uninstall of AVG with their remover, removing hidden folders afterwards, rebooting several times to ensure it was completely gone before I installed Avast.

Using the Windows Firewall. How do I check if it's allowing ashMaiSv.exe ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:40:15 PM »
The windows XP  firewall doesn't have outbound protection (essential in my opinion, see below) so shouldn't be blocking ashMaiSv.exe.

So it looks like AT&T are using SSL email on those ports I mentioned, which means currently avast can't scan your email.

There is little point adding those ports to the redirected ports as it would result in the email failing to be sent.

####
Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo (care required now it is a suite not to install the anti-virus element), PCTools Firewall Plus, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.
Many forum users are using all of the above:
PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
I think you can see by my comments on Zone Alarm free you have to be careful that you are not using the pro trial version.
Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
Comodo is now a suite and you have to do a custom install so as not to install the antivirus element, of all the firewalls listed this seems to be the noisiest in asking questions, depending on settings and elements used, so it could be daunting for those not to familiar with firewalls or their systems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security