Author Topic: spywareguard browser hijack: coolsearch.biz  (Read 5801 times)

bewooc

spywareguard browser hijack: coolsearch.biz
« on: May 08, 2004, 04:24:56 PM »
when my compter is on (windows 2000), every 10-20 seconds I get browser hijack message saying that www.coolsearch.biz is changing my home page.  I hit "Restore" then "ok" but it immediately returns over and over again.  Have run avast and adaware but still there, even when running antivirus engines.  Help please.  Running IE as my browser

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:spywareguard browser hijack: coolsearch.biz
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 07:01:43 PM »
I would advise you to use some other browser like Opera/Mozilla.
More functional,faster and immune to spyware crap.
Highly recommended :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 10:01:50 AM »

CoolSearch is not a virus. Do a Google search CWshredder, download it, install it, and then run it.

pasta

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 05:26:37 PM »
Even though the CoolSearch BHO (Browser Hijack Object) isn't a real virus, it still falls under the term Malware, and since we're seeing more and more of these, and they're getting quite annoying to remove, i think it would be nice if the ppl @ Alwil would build some protection/removal for these things in.

Most of these are also trojan horses btw.

whocares

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 05:39:29 PM »
Avast does detect lots of those nasties, some under the really unhelpful names of trojan-gen, or trojano, some specifically named.

new variants can of course only be built in fast, if avast receives the samples (e.g. from you)
 ;)

Generally, secure your system & IE/Browser better, and you won't have problems with Hijackers/ad-/Spyware etc.. ;)