Author Topic: HTML: Iframe-gen error  (Read 4556 times)

Offline triffendesign

HTML: Iframe-gen error
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »
Hi--

I understand there are a few iframe-gen errors on this web site already, but I can't seem to make heads or tails of them.

the situation is as follows:

I am the web master of a web site that has a blog, run by wordpress, that has come up as having been infected/affected by HTML: Iframe-gen malware. Personally, I don't run avast, but my client does and he alerted me to this. I have been to many different places on the internet looking for additional information on this, but have found none (looking in places such as mcaffee and norton).

My own software has not caught on to this either. In addition, I work in firefox, which has some terrific filters of its own to detect this sort of thing.

I am not sure what to do with the announcement I was sent, or how to go about finding out if there really is a problem with the site.

Thank you in advance. Any advice would be welcome.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:03:13 PM by triffendesign »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: HTML: Iframe-gen error
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32:46 PM »
Well since you don't give us the url of concern it is hard to investigate or offer any advice.

This is however, becoming a very common attack vector as all it takes it to inject an iframe into your page/s.

This can be from the exploitation of vulnerable content management software, PHP or possibly wordpress (but I have zero experience of this software).

The filters in firefox, such as NoScript may be beneficial, but avast doesn't need to have a script run to detect it in the page. So those unlucky enough not to be using firefox with NoScript (and importantly iframes blocked) as such would have no protection against the execution of an iframe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline triffendesign

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
sorry the website is hxxp://www.avios.org/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »
Well it looks like you have been hacked. From the link you gave me.

There is a 1x1 iframe tag directing to an IP address (hiding obvious domain) in China. See image I have broken the code to make it easier to see in the image. This iframe just seems to have been dropped in without thought where it goes. That is the only iframe tag on that page, so I would check your other pages for iframe tags, especially if you don't use iframes in your site.

It appears to be pretending to be traffic stats as I doubt you would be using a Chinese site to monitor your stats.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:33:24 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline triffendesign

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »
Wow! Who would have known. Thank you very much.

If I wanted to get rid of it, would I just download the files and take out the iFrame?

If I did that, would it affect my computer? I also don't understand how this malware works.

Also, could you suggest a good free malware scan to find out if I am infected?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:48:11 AM by triffendesign »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:28 AM »
You're welcome.

That is effectively just removing the iframe and not the cause (if you don't find and fix the cause it could be back), how the iframe came to be inserted in the first place, my previous comments in Reply #1