Author Topic: Possible bug in avast! 4 Home/Pro Edition?  (Read 3936 times)

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
Possible bug in avast! 4 Home/Pro Edition?
« on: May 09, 2004, 08:41:05 PM »
I have noticed that in version 4.1.396 of both Home/Pro edition there is a problem with .rar archive recognition. When you right click and scan a file that is in the .rar file format it recognizies the virus the first time but if I click stop instead of delete; and  then scan the file again it shows the file as clean but the problem is the file is still in the archive and has not been altered. If I do the same thing with a .zip file format the virus is detected both times using the procedure I stated above. Anyone who can help me figure this out I would be most appreciative. Thanks again in advance.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Fletch

Re:Possible bug in avast! 4 Home/Pro Edition?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 04:48:45 AM »
I have noticed that in version 4.1.396 of both Home/Pro edition there is a problem with .rar archive recognition. When you right click and scan a file that is in the .rar file format it recognizies the virus the first time but if I click stop instead of delete; and  then scan the file again it shows the file as clean but the problem is the file is still in the archive and has not been altered. If I do the same thing with a .zip file format the virus is detected both times using the procedure I stated above. Anyone who can help me figure this out I would be most appreciative. Thanks again in advance.

Hi There I'm Having the same problem, all my archive files are not being scanned.

If anyone can help that would be greatly apreciated

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 01:45:48 PM »
I just tried and the virus is detected every time for me...

What operating system do you use? Did you change any settings for the Explorer Extension (that is what you use to scan the file, right? - the avast! item from the Explorer context menu).

What is inside the RAR archive? (how many files, what filenames, what virus)?

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 03:03:18 PM »
Igor,
    The issue was resolved with a clean install of the program. But just to answer the question I'm running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1a. What I did was right click the archive file and scan from the context menu and would select scan filename.rar and the visual & audible alarms would go off. When the pop-up box appeared I selected the stop button and clicked it. Then I'd go back and scan it the same way and this time no audible or visual results but the file is still in the archive file and hasn't been modified. But it was only a problem with the .rar file format and all other formats for sompression were unaffected. My guess is it was a bad install. The problem was corrected with a fresh install.
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 03:06:18 PM »
That's really strange... Honestly, I cannot imagine an installation corruption that may cause something like that.
I wonder if the number of the scanned files (announced in the results dialog box) matched in both scans...

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 03:17:54 PM »
It did match. The number of files scanned was the same.
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3