Author Topic: testimonials?  (Read 6872 times)

mbrown

testimonials?
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could be willing to share their thoughts about the linux version. I am planning on moving my one windows laptop to ubuntu jaunty rc today or tomorrow. That being said wondering about this.

thanks

M. Brown

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: testimonials?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »
I use Kubuntu in a dual boot system with Vista.
I think I need to be used with Linux and the learning curve is not on my favor... It's there more for fun and learning than for daily work.
KDE (of Kubuntu) is an interface similar to Windows.
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »
You don't need an anti-virus with Ubuntu, but if you're going to install an anti-virus you don't need, avast! is good.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:02:53 AM »
You don't need an anti-virus with Ubuntu, but if you're going to install an anti-virus you don't need, avast! is good.

Heh,
that's not 100% true - there are (and not few, rather plenty) malware thingies for Linux. Mainly exploits, backdoors, trojans, rootkits. Yes, "classic" viruses and worms are minority, good user-separation on Unixes blocks their effectivity and spreading. But, the peril exists anyway.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 09:34:25 AM »

Heh,
that's not 100% true - there are (and not few, rather plenty) malware thingies for Linux. Mainly exploits, backdoors, trojans, rootkits. Yes, "classic" viruses and worms are minority, good user-separation on Unixes blocks their effectivity and spreading. But, the peril exists anyway.

regards,
pc

I'll let you know when I see one. In a year and a half of using Ubuntu, I haven't seen any.

;)
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

pupusse

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 07:58:20 PM »
I use LINUX debian

Anyway , as AVAST for linux WS is free , even if virus under Linux is a myth, WHY not installing this FREE av ?

In the "worst" case it will detect nothing ; in the "best" case , if viruses do exist , they will be detected.