Author Topic: Avast 4.1 misses lots of malware  (Read 4549 times)

videonut

Avast 4.1 misses lots of malware
« on: May 10, 2004, 11:53:50 PM »
After manually finding and removing a bogus "Services.exe" file (located in a non-standard folder) that was sending information about me to a mail server in RUSSIA (IP 194.67.23.20), I decided I'd better find out how much other crap is on my system that Avast isn't catching.

The following malware was discovered by Trend Micro's free internet virus scan called "housecall":

1)  Troj-TOPGER.A  (found as a dll file named A0023370.dll at restore point 118)

2)  BKDR-LIXY.C  (found as Windows\System\Serve.exe)

3)  JS LAMEDON.A  (found in Windows\dl.html)

4)  JS HARNIG.A  (found in Windows\dlm.html)

Needless to say, I've lost confidence in Avast.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re:Avast 4.1 misses lots of malware
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 12:16:35 AM »
Avast can miss some, nothing is 100% proof, so send them to Alwil asap ...

Usually trojans and malware, spyware and hijackers got so many variants it's practically impossible to cover them all ...

Decent firewall and browsers helps lot ...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 12:19:14 AM by Dwarden »
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

shgoh

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 03:21:37 AM »

you shouldn't be...coz avast has got too many loyal supporters here to prove ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 03:22:10 AM by shgoh »

JAM-Computers

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 05:21:01 AM »
actually, the reason I switched to Avast is because it detected two virus's that NAV did not.  I am impressed, and thankful that Avast is available and it is free.

[size=30]IF YOU CAN HEAR ME OH ANTI-VIRUS GURUS, THANK YOU![/size]

« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 05:21:42 AM by JAM-Computers »

sly

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 07:02:29 AM »
Hi,
I Totaly agree with Jam-Computer Last week again fixing a computer for some friend I found a virus in the outook exxpress files that no on line scanner did find not even the symantec cleaner ??? That was make for this virus And it wasn't a false alert
Avast is definitively the Best
 ;D

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 08:08:25 AM »
The following malware was discovered by Trend Micro's free internet virus scan called "housecall":

Well, there is a lot of different malware out there today. Some programs are even in the shadow area between spyware/adware and legal programs and NO program can detect everything! We are mainly focused on the viruses/worms but also on some more dangerous trojans as backdoors.

There is no need to loose the confidence in Avast! If you have any suspicious files, please feel free to send them to virus@avast.com for analysis...

Pavel

videonut

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 09:14:05 PM »
Pavel,

Thanks for the reply.  I have already sent the services.exe trojan to the address listed in the "contact" section (virus@asw.cz).  Should I also send it to the address you mentioned?

I have since learned that trojan is called PWS-Mylogs ("mylogs" is the subject of the email it tries to send), that its a password stealer, and was 1st discovered on April 14,04 which is the same day it found its way onto my system.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 09:41:41 AM »
It's not necessary - the addresses something@asw.cz and something@avast.com are actually the "same" (i.e. both work).