Author Topic: OS Crash colision Avast 4.1.396 with PowerStrip  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
OS Crash colision Avast 4.1.396 with PowerStrip
« on: May 11, 2004, 01:09:07 AM »
PowerStrip is well known monitor / videocard util

http://www.entechtaiwan.com

running in memory latest retail version or latest beta version

then start memory test "ashQuick.exe *MEMORY"

instant OS freeze, tried Windows XP Home Eng SP1, XP Pro Eng SP1, XP Pro Eng SP2 preRC2 (b2120)

not good at all :(
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re:OS Crash colision Avast 4.1.396 with PowerStrip
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 01:26:07 AM »
Same thing happen when using Avast ! Cleaner 1.0.188

whole OS will freeze, restart needed ...

anyone else want check this too ?
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 01:27:39 AM »
Yeah, that's a "known" problem. Please wait for Igor till tomorrow to find out more... he's handled this problem in the past. :)

Dobrou noc,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 02:40:25 AM »
 :D oki  ;)

Taky dobrou ...  ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 10:13:09 AM »
Handled?? I'm afraid it's quite a strong word. I have been reported this problem for avast! Virus Cleaner (from Dwarden, btw) - but I wasn't able to do anything about it.

Since the problem concerns avast! as well, I can see it's not the problem of the Cleaner - but simply the problem with reading the memory. I really don't know what to do about it - when the memory block, marked as "allocated, commited, etc.", cannot be read (or rather: when reading this memory causes the system to freeze), it's really bad... During a memory scan, the memory has to be read. If a memory access causes the system to freeze and it's not possible to distinguish this "bad" memory from the "good" one... the only way to avoid the freeze is to avoid the memory scan. I really don't see any other way out... any ideas?

Btw, this problems you are encountering - is it always the same machine, of multiple computers?

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 02:44:52 PM »
Multiple computers, 4 in fact ...

Regarding Powerstrip, it is known this program uses low level operations to reach video hardware , there was issue between Powerstrip and PunkBuster (anticheat solution which scans memory too :), see www.evenbalance.com), as result PB is forced to operate in special mode when PowerStrip is used.

I suggest look into it, contant Entechtaiwan and maybe EvenBalance Inc. too, as this problem seems to be similar ...

another solution, but totally cheap can be when Avast detect PowerStrip in memory it inform user this application must be closed before allowing continue in test...

Anyway i want to hear this issue is happening to someone else than just me, as i use specific setup for PowerStrip and certain hardware /drivers ...

thx in advance ...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 03:03:33 PM »
I guess I'm going to disappoing you, but honestly, I didn't hear from anybody but you, regarding the PowerStrip conflicts. A few people are experiencing a problem with the Cleaner on Win9x when the "shared memory" area (2GB-3GB) is scanned, but that's not connected with PowerStrip.

I would like to know more about this PunkBuster "solution" (the FAQ doesn't say much). In any case, avoiding the memory scan (or even just excluding PowerStrip process from being scanned) is not a good idea here, at least for avast! Virus Cleaner - some viruses simply could be there and without deactivation, it's rather useless to try to disinfect the system.