Author Topic: Standard Shield killed by spyware...I guess?  (Read 4698 times)

laurentjoseph

Standard Shield killed by spyware...I guess?
« on: May 11, 2004, 07:19:11 PM »
Hi guys!
I am new to this nice place. Hope  you won't mind my newbie's question/problem. I sure could use some help...

This is my problem :
(win98/Avast home)

lately I had a spyware/adware taking control of my homepage...because Avast could not prevent it and kill it, i had to install WinPatrol.

Now I got rid of the homepage hijacker but my Avast Standard Shield is OFF and I can't put it back ON because everytime I reboot I got the so popular Windows blue screen of death :"a fatal exception occured in....press any key...".
I get also on every reboot an MSGSRV32 prompt of "illegal operation...etc..."

So now any change I want to make in my config is just impossible...including the Avast program.

Thanks for your help...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Standard Shield killed by spyware...I guess?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 08:04:17 PM »
What is the exact error message on the blue screen? (i.e. the part you replaced with dots)

Msgsrv32 errors can be caused by many things (usb devices, ...) - but the same question: what is the exact error message?

laurentjoseph

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 09:41:05 PM »
Thanks for your concern !

blue screen says :"a fatal exception has occurred at 0028:C02A026C in VXD VWIN32(05)+00000BF4.

MSGSRV32 prompt says the program will be shut down because of illegal operation...invalid page fault in IPHLPAPI.dll

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 05:04:06 PM »
Unfortunatelly, this error message doesn't say much.
You can try to go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, select avast! Antivirus, press Change and select "Repair".
This MSGSRV error is also connected to avast! (i.e. it disappears when you turn it off), or it happens in any case?

laurentjoseph

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 06:48:13 PM »
Thanks for your help Igor.

When you go in the control panel>add/remove programs, there is no such option like "change" or "repair", but only add or remove...so what do you mean ? (I use win98).

About the msgsrv message it always come out...
Because I now have the "fatal exception..." blue screen EVERYTIME I turn my computer off forbids me to make any permanent changes to my configuration... :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 01:11:56 AM »
When you go in the control panel>add/remove programs, there is no such option like "change" or "repair", but only add or remove...so what do you mean ? (I use win98).

Choose remove.
A popup window will appear.
Choose change or repair in this 'new' window  ;)
The best things in life are free.

laurentjoseph

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 02:39:00 AM »
I did so.
Unfortunately, because of the "fatal exception..." blue screen of death, the changes won't persist after reboot  :(

I guess i have to reformat my hard drive  :(
Next computer (laptop again) will be a Mac...You bet!!!...
I am sick of those kind of windows BS like "this program has performed an illegal operation..." the fatal errors and exceptions...and ALL Windows MS crap...no more...

Thanks for your help.

w0mbat

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 02:59:00 AM »
no need to format, just re-install win98 over the original install.
And use 98SE if you we not before.

This will keep you going till you get your mac :)

w0mbat