Author Topic: SBS version mail scanner issues  (Read 5023 times)

jetcosys

SBS version mail scanner issues
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:39:26 AM »
I have a couple errors. 

Running on Windows Server 2003 SBS SP2.  Version of Avast is 4.8.1005.  Version of ADSM is 4.7.657.

I have this issue on multiple servers.  The Exchange queues have outgoing messages stuck attempting to relay.  Stopping the mail scanning service fixes the issue and mail relays appropriately.  That's the first error. 

Because of the first error, I want to disable the mail scanning service from running.  When I attempt to set the service to disabled, Avast blocks the registry change.  I cannot seem to find a workaround to this issue.

Lastly, the blue icon in the system tray is unresponsive.  I cannot right/left click and get any menu whatsoever.  Also, when I launch the program from the start menu, the splash screen shows up, does the memory scan, but I never get the program interface.

Thanks,

-Joe   :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: SBS version mail scanner issues
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »
I don't know about the first issue.  I don't know what or where you're relaying to.  It should be working fine if you just use DNS to route email...

I think I have a fix for the unresponsive avast icon though.

In your ADNM console, right-click the, "Computer Catalog" and click Properties.  (This will modify all other groups that you may have created).

Then, click on the "Local Scanners" section (see attached picture).  You probably have the two settings set to "disable" which prevents you from clicking on the avast icon and changing the properties.

I have mine set on "ask for password."  So, I can click on the icon, put the password in, and then access the settings.

I noticed that your ADNM console is pretty out of date too.

Go to control panel, Add/Remove programs, and click on the "Avast Management Tools" and click change/remove button.  Then, look for the update button, and continue the process.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

jetcosys

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:33:08 AM »
Thanks for the info on the unresponsive icon; that worked like a charm.  :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:39:11 AM »
Glad I could help.  As for your exchange queues, I hope you get that resolved soon.  Please post back if / when you get it fixed.  I'm sure it will help someone in the future. Thanks!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

jetcosys

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:16:35 AM »
I think I may have found the cause of my Exchange issue.  I installed the Avast! managed client using the /server option.  I assumed this was correct.  I'm thinking now that the correct install should be the Avast! SBS Edition version on my server and the managed client on all clients.  However, I don't see the product in my ADNM management module.  Do you know how I add the SBS server to ADNM?

Thx,

-Joe