Author Topic: Boot Sector Scan  (Read 11370 times)

marvinlzinn

Boot Sector Scan
« on: May 11, 2004, 08:24:26 PM »
I recently installed Avast 4.1 home, on an HP Pavilion running XP home operating system.

I find that I dare not activate the boot sector scan because the keyboard is inactive at the time this scan is running, and if it finds a virus there is no way to continue to startup or to exit or disable the boot-sector scan without entering something on the keyboard. I cannot even start in safe mode until the scan is finished and it won't finish when it finds an error without keyboard instructions.

Am I missing something? Is there a way around this problem? I was only able to get back into operation only by selecting "last good settings".

marvin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Boot Sector Scan
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 04:05:03 AM »
Boot time scanning cannot work with USB keyboards because the drivers for the keyboard were not installed yet as Windows did not boot yet at that time...

I think there is few possibility to do something...
Maybe you must have Bart CD to boot and run avast from it...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

marvinlzinn

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 04:59:58 AM »
My keyboard does not plug into the USB, but perhaps it works the same anyway. Thanks.

marvin

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 10:32:05 AM »
Is your keyboard connected to PS/2 or is it wireless ?

marvinlzinn

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 06:09:16 PM »
Is your keyboard connected to PS/2 or is it wireless ?
It is a standard keyboard plugged into the keyboard port.

marvin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 05:27:25 AM »
So, why did you write because the keyboard is inactive at the time this scan is running?
What's wrong with your keyboard?  ::)

marvinlzinn

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 05:38:14 AM »
Nothing is wrong with the keyboard that I know of, it is just that at the time the boot scan is running, XP has not yet completed startup, so it appears the keyboard driver is not active. Since I cannot break into the boot scan to do anything, I cannot verify this to be true, but it is the only explanation I can think of.

marvin

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 09:34:36 AM »
Please send me the file Avast4\DATA\log\aswBoot.log by e-mail. Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 03:38:39 PM »
Nothing is wrong with the keyboard that I know of, it is just that at the time the boot scan is running, XP has not yet completed startup, so it appears the keyboard driver is not active.

No, it must be active at that time.
You can interact with scandisk (chkdsk.exe) or other defragmentation programs at that time... So, you should have a keyboard at that time... Something is wrong.
Maybe vojtech could help you with more information.  :-\

marvinlzinn

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 04:45:44 PM »
Nothing is wrong with the keyboard that I know of, it is just that at the time the boot scan is running, XP has not yet completed startup, so it appears the keyboard driver is not active.

No, it must be active at that time.
You can interact with scandisk (chkdsk.exe) or other defragmentation programs at that time... So, you should have a keyboard at that time... Something is wrong.
Maybe vojtech could help you with more information.  :-\

Well, that is what I thought too, but all I know for sure is that nothing I type on the keyboard at that time, including ctrl+alt+del, is recognized.

marvin

youplaboum

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 11:32:58 AM »
I got almost the same problem, everything I type at the end of the boot scan translates into a '?', except 'esc'. My keyboard is 3 months old, logitech, and is plugged in the standard keyboard plug.

Did you find any solutions?

marvinlzinn

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 03:40:27 PM »
I got almost the same problem, everything I type at the end of the boot scan translates into a '?', except 'esc'. My keyboard is 3 months old, logitech, and is plugged in the standard keyboard plug.

Did you find any solutions?
No. Vojtech asked me to send the awsboot.log file, which I did. I got no further response. Perhaps he didn't get it.

marvin

marvinlzinn

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2004, 03:46:32 PM »
Please send me the file Avast4\DATA\log\aswBoot.log by e-mail. Thank you.
Did you ever receive the awsboot.log file I sent about a month ago? Should I send it again?
thanx,

marvin

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 04:53:08 PM »
I received the file but I don't know why the keyboard was not detected.

marvinlzinn

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 05:23:13 PM »
I received the file but I don't know why the keyboard was not detected.
OK, thanks for trying. I still love AVAST and won't switch for this little problem. If indeed the keyboard is not seen in the software at that time, I don't see how there is anything in AVAST that could be done to make it visible without modification to the operating system or CMOS.