Author Topic: avast detected malware but there is no log.  (Read 5779 times)

maugrimx

avast detected malware but there is no log.
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:07:25 AM »
avast detected malware on a web site but there was nothing about it in the log, why is there nothing about the detection in the log? i need to have a log of what was detected. there is just old detections wich is several days old showing up in the log now.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: avast detected malware but there is no log.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:36:11 AM »
Basic logs are stored in Windows Event Viewer. Just open Event Viewer and open "Antivirus" category.
There you'll find logs of all sucessful avast! updates and all detections.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:42 AM »
Look for something like this (attached).
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

maugrimx

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:48:04 AM »
the event viewer log shows only the virus wich is days old. there was a warning from avast in the bottom right corner of the screen when it was detected but it disappeared so fast.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »
If it was just a yellow and red popup which dissapeared by itself it was most probably by Network Shield as all the other providers display a dialog that requires user interaction. I wouldn't really worry about it in this case.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »
Aren't the Network Shield events stored into avast logs (check with avast Log Viewer)?
Even increasing the log level (to debug, for instance)?
The best things in life are free.

maugrimx

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »

i opened up the network shield in the resident options and found the log, i wish that this should be showed in the other log as well.

there is also no information about what malware/exploit was detected.

here is the log

06.05.2009  05:45:50  Network Shield: blocked access to malicious site jpsb. meibu .com/Ms06014.htm [ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe ( 1292 ) ]

the sites involved will be reported somewhere else so that is the reason why i find the logs usefull.

thanks alot  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
i opened up the network shield in the resident options and found the log, i wish that this should be showed in the other log as well.

there is also no information about what malware/exploit was detected.
<snip>

I have to agree, ever since this malicious site functionality has been introduced in the Network Shield, I have said the alert is too low key. I agree there should be an entry the avast log viewer in the same way as other alerts as that is where the user goes to check.

The site is basically on a list of sites which are deemed to exploit or are malicious, where there may be multiple possible exploits, etc. so there isn't a specific malware/exploit. As avast doesn't go into the site to check for specifics, it just blocks based on the site being on the malicious list.

This was given as the reason why the alert differs from the standard alert pop-up and audible one since your system wasn't exposed to an infection. This too was the reason why it isn't in the avast log viewer, I disagree on both points.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

maugrimx

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:06:55 PM »
This was given as the reason why the alert differs from the standard alert pop-up and audible one since your system wasn't exposed to an infection. This too was the reason why it isn't in the avast log viewer, I disagree on both points.

what do you disagree about? i dont understand.

however, i hope that in the next version of avast that all detections is showing up in the same log. were the log was placed was not expected.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:15:46 PM »
Hi anakinn,

You will find this log in Event Log Explorer logs, if you have that program installed.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »
Hi anakinn,

You will find this log in Event Log Explorer logs, if you have that program installed.

polonus

Event Log Explorer™ is one of my favorite applications:
http://www.eventlogxp.com

A personal non-commercial use license is required:
http://www.eventlogxp.com/order.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 12:07:04 AM »

what do you disagree about? i dont understand.

I disagree with the suggested reasons given by Alwil why they didn't use the same alert style as normal detections and not recording the network shield detections in the logs
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

maugrimx

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 01:49:14 AM »
i hope eventlogexplorer works with windows vista then. thanks i will try it.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 01:30:38 PM »
i hope eventlogexplorer works with windows vista then. thanks i will try it.

Works fine with Vista  :)