Author Topic: Why does scanning of one jpeg file take so long ?  (Read 3696 times)

saoir

Why does scanning of one jpeg file take so long ?
« on: May 13, 2004, 08:33:02 PM »
Hi all,

I am an Avasti user for a couple of months .... and have been using Pocomail happily now for a year or so.

However I have been completely unable to solve one problem that is really annoying me.... and I get passed from Pocomail to Avasti and back...

Info: Win2kPro / Pocomail 3 / Avasti / (no spam program being used) / Sygate Personal Firewall / Pentium III 600Mhz.

When people send me an attachment 'file' [usually a jpeg or bmp] somewhere between Pocomail and Avasti there is a time out of 150% to 200% of the download time of the file.

In other words if the attachment is 3 or 4 Mb and, for illustration purposes only, takes 60 seconds to download (I watch it coming in with Ostat) ) then there always follows a time out of 90 to 120 seconds immediately afterward before other mail is retrieved ..... and it gets worse for larger attachments...! One comment - during the latter half of that time out period there is a progress bar in Pocomail that shows Pocomail 'appearing' to receive the file from another program..... but the length of time for this whole process seems difficult to grasp ...

I used Eudora for about five years until last summer, along with Norton... and there was never any such time out whatsoever.... perhaps a couple or three seconds at the most for the biggest fo files.

Could anyone say if this is normal ?  or not ?  or something to do with my settings ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Why does scanning of one jpeg file take so long ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 04:19:13 AM »
Which is your sensitivity level for Standard Shield? I supose you check 'scan all files' (High level)... If the file is too big, maybe it could delay a little more to download.
Solutions:
1. Reduce your sensitivity level (will lose protection)
2. See if your email client or firewall are not the 'bad guy' in this history  8)
The best things in life are free.

saoir

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 05:26:23 PM »
Which is your sensitivity level for Standard Shield? I supose you check 'scan all files' (High level)... If the file is too big, maybe it could delay a little more to download.
Solutions:
1. Reduce your sensitivity level (will lose protection)
2. See if your email client or firewall are not the 'bad guy' in this history  8)

Thanks Technical... but my Internet Mail protection is set to "Normal" with no customisation.
I am trying to get an answer from Pocomail people too but I get passed back and forth :)

"Should" this be happening ?  I use Sygate Personal Firewall on DSL line and both Avasti and Pocomail have full "Allow" status.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 07:58:42 PM »
I was talking about the Standard Shield and not the Internet Mail provider...
Anyway, it's strange. I'll think another possibility  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 10:04:08 AM »
It certainly shouldn't take so long.
Does it help when you stop the Internet Mail provider temporarily and try to download a bigger attachment?

saoir

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 01:16:30 PM »
It certainly shouldn't take so long.
Does it help when you stop the Internet Mail provider temporarily and try to download a bigger attachment?
Hi Igor..... In the current climate of constant bombardment by virus' and worms I am too scared to disable it......