Author Topic: VPN user not discoverable and not communicating with ADNM  (Read 3867 times)

thetao

VPN user not discoverable and not communicating with ADNM
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:20:43 AM »
My company has had a few problems with our Avast deployment, but never this one.  Every user has the same Avast NetClient (currently 4.8.1005), but I've found that a new employee who works remotely from another city is a) not discoverable through a "Discover Computers on the Network" task, and b) is not communicating with the ADNM.  For this reason, his Avast license has expired.  I found another post that suggested changing the name of the Avast server from the computer name to the IP address, and we're in the process of trying that.  (With the security on the laptop, it's difficult for me to manually delete/overwrite files remotely.)  Some other details:

1) His OS is WinXP SP2, the server is running Windows Server 2003 with ADNM 4.8.941.
2) He's connecting to the VPN server on the same box using the standard Windows VPN client.
3) He can access the server for everything else (file sharing, email, etc.) and can also load the URL http://<server ip>:5033/$$status$$_mirror .
4) Another remote user who just started today, seemingly with the same settings, does not appear to have this problem.

If the server name trick fails, are there other suggestions?  Changing the server name might help him contact us, but shouldn't affect a Discovery task...

Thanks,
Todd

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: VPN user not discoverable and not communicating with ADNM
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 05:34:33 AM »
Seems strange.  I would definitely have him upgrade to SP3 for obvious reasons.  It's been out for quite a while, and it should be done.

As for not being able to update his computer (while the VPN is connected I presume?) I can only guess that the person might have a firewall enabled (either third-party or built-in) that could be causing a block to the AMS server.

A good idea would be to check the logs of the remote computer to see if there are any obvious errors that might lead us to the source of the problem (if that's possible).

You do have enough licenses for this person, correct?  There aren't any "lock" icons next to his computer in the ADNM console?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum