Author Topic: what to do if virus is found?  (Read 3894 times)

DrJeepney

what to do if virus is found?
« on: May 16, 2004, 04:36:51 AM »
i have windows xp, but everytime i try to shut down my computer, it wont automatically shut down like it used to.  run32dll.exe ( i believe thats the name, but i probably typed it wrong) wont let me shut down my computer automatically, so i am running a virus scan right now, thorough virus scan, and i found a virus.  i tried to use the repair option, then it didnt repair it, so i proceeded to move to chest bin.

what happens if i move it to chest bin? and is it better to delete the virus permanently?

right now, i have 2 viruses on avast virus chest bin, is my computer safe now that the virus is in the bin? or do i have to delete it?  is my computer still infected if i keep it in the virust chest bin?

this is the first virus avast has found in my computer, and i'm shock right now, but i'm happy at the same time that it found a virus, and i dont know what to do so any tips is nice.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 04:42:49 AM by DrJeepney »

CharleyO

Re:what to do if virus is found?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 08:32:49 AM »

If the 2 viruses are in the chest, you should have nothing to worry about.    :D  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:what to do if virus is found?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 07:49:12 PM »
what happens if i move it to chest bin? and is it better to delete the virus permanently?

right now, i have 2 viruses on avast virus chest bin, is my computer safe now that the virus is in the bin? or do i have to delete it?  is my computer still infected if i keep it in the virust chest bin?

Chest folder is a password protected folder. avast lock the infected files there and virus code cannot do nothing unless you 'recover' the file to your system manually. When a virus is found, if you do not know how to react, the best is send the file to Chest. From there you can resend the file to Alwil for analysis (virus@avast.com), delete the file, try to repair, etc. You're safe using the Chest, that is why the Chest exists.
The best things in life are free.