Author Topic: Help with an old hard drive  (Read 26468 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Help with an old hard drive
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 12:54:58 AM »
really?

It is just unallocated and I suppose it will be lost space
It would be pointless having an 8MB partition, no?

-Scott-
No. It is in the beginning or at the end of the disk?
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »
It's at the beginning of the drive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »
It's at the beginning of the drive
Worse... There is no reason for it, are you sure you can't delete the other partition and create a new one using all the space?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
No matter what I do when I create a partition it will not allow me to even change the unallocated space before value, up or down

Will this cause problems?

-Scott-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »
Well, the space before could be identified as the first partition (but it's not).
I suggest you delete the partition you've created and start the creation from the beginning, there is no reason for letting 8Mb free before...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 08:00:21 PM »
That is what I tried before, in the last post, and it is the same if I delete and create separately
I don't know why but it is not able to change the value for the 'lost' space, I have no idea why.

-Scott-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 08:04:37 PM »
I hate mysteries, but I'm empty... I can't guess what's happening...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2009, 08:15:58 PM »
I hate mysteries, but I'm empty... I can't guess what's happening...
Me either, but thank you for the effort and I'm sorry if I dragged it out a little bit, always the little things...:)

Do you know a good, free backup program I could use?

-Scott-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2009, 08:43:44 PM »
Do you know a good, free backup program I could use?
What do you want to do: file backup or total disk (partition) backup?
Where do you want to store the backup? (another disk, which is the capacity?)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »
I was thinking more just the docs etc. on the pc, so just files really.

I want to store it on the drive we have been working on, the 80GB external HD

-Scott-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2009, 08:49:16 PM »
Which is the size of the primary disk (i.e., the one from where you're backing up)?
Did you consider on-line backups like Mozy?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2009, 08:49:41 PM »
When partition a disk, it is not possible to divide disk's geometry (I think the geometry - CHS) exactly evenly. so there is always a little bit left over at the end (8mb sounds right) because the math has to go to the nearest round figure. The extra just falls off at the end, you don't see it (or you can format it as a logical partition if you want - like Scott has done here - and it will show up on your partition table). But usual you don't bother about it and it doesn't show on your screen except in Disk Management, where it's visible at end of the table as empty unformatted space.

For example when I partition a 25OGB disk, I would allocate say 40GB for system drive and say 60GB for storage, so I'm off for a start. There is 150GB remaining which I get round to when I have decided some use for it. The 150 GB only shows in Disk Management where I go when I need to re-evaluate my partition table.

Otherwise to all extents and purposes, 100GB is enough for most people to get by on for time being, and thats all that shows on drive settings in My Computer. Add on another partiton when needed - say, when the movie or music collection starts to grow too big for existing partitions.

Alternatively you can format one 250GB partition, or, since many people like to keep system drive separate, 50GB for C:\ and the remainder into storage partitions according to what storage cabinets you think you need.

In your case Scott, you've partitioned and formatted that little extra bit (8mb) that can't make the math when the allocations were worked out, so you are seeing it in your drive set up My Computer. If you delete it so that its empty space, you should not see it in My Computer (best thing to do - just lob it off your work space and don't worry about, its not much use anyway). If you do feel need to access your total space, then you can go to Disk Management and see the whole table.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
The disk I am backing up from is Disk 1, so about 70-80GB, not even half filled.
Yes, I did see mozy in your signiture, but I don't think that 2.2GB is quite enough for all of the stuff on the PC though. I had the hard drive so I thought why not use it.

Thank you Mkis for clearing up that issue with the drive, it makes sense now, just a note though, I was seeing the empty space in Easeus not My computer, not that it matters.

-Scott-

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »
Good luck with backups. Scott.   :)
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2009, 09:22:51 PM »
So there is always a little bit left over at the end (8mb sounds right)
At the end, not at the beginning... And the people who build disks knows that and makes it round nowadays... specially for one (single) partition... that is what makes me think...

For example when I partition a 25OGB disk, I would allocate say 40GB for system drive and say 60GB for storage, so I'm off for a start. There is 150GB remaining which I get round to when I have decided some use for it. The 150 GB only shows in Disk Management where I go when I need to re-evaluate my partition table.
We're talking about one single partition... Division could not be round, but for a single one and weird, at the beginning...