Author Topic: Win7 hangs at login while avast! is installed  (Read 4701 times)

pdk

Win7 hangs at login while avast! is installed
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:49:34 AM »
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem using avast! on Windows 7 at the moment. It seems to install and run fine, and I've managed to restart my computer just fine and have it still work (via both simply rebooting, or a shut down and boot up). However, I'm finding when my computer's left off for a while, say overnight or while I'm at work, then I start getting problems with Win7's login process. I can enter my password and start to login, but it sits on the "Welcome" loading screen indefinitely (I've left it alone for a while and it's still been there) and never continues to the desktop.

The issue stops occurring if I enter Safe Mode and uninstall avast. I haven't found any other resolutions to it yet (nor do I have quite as much time to investigate in the week as I'd like), so I'm wondering whether anyone knows what might be causing it, and why uninstalling avast seems to solve the problem.

Cheers,
-- Andy

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Re: Win7 hangs at login while avast! is installed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:51:35 AM »
How much RAM do you have on your PC?
How many programs start on your startup?
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

pdk

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 03:56:58 AM »
How much RAM do you have on your PC?
How many programs start on your startup?

4GB (I'm running Win7 32-bit, fyi)

Programs initiated at startup (minus avast) are:
- HDAudioCPL (Audio driver software)
- ATI Default Resolution Update
- Catalyst Control Center
- Java Platform
- Gmail Notifier
- Google Update
- Steam
- Pidgin

Disabling avast! from startup in msconfig did not resolve the issue.

(And no, I don't know why the forum says I'm from Turkmenistan, I'm pretty sure I didn't select that)

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 03:59:48 AM »
Did you have a previous antivirus installed on your computer?
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

pdk

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:04:47 AM »
Did you have a previous antivirus installed on your computer?

Nope. It was a clean install on Sunday (I'd been using XP before then - formatted before installing Win7), and avast was the only AV software I tried to install (Windows Defender is present by default of course).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »
Would you be able/willing create a full memory dump when the problem occurs and upload it to our FTP server? (it would be rather huge - namely 4GB, even though it should compress quite well).
What keyboard type do you have - USB or PS/2?

pdk

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 01:52:41 AM »
USB. I'll try with a PS/2 keyboard and see if anything different happens, and I'll see what I can do about the memory dump and let you know when I've got it (might not be until the weekend though)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 02:13:24 AM »
pdk, as Igor noticed, we'd like to ask you to generate a complete memory dump when your Win7 hangs up again. Firstly, this option must be enabled in your system and that procedure depends on the keyboard type you use. Since, it's USB type, please follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor.
   2. Locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters
   3. Make sure that the following registry entry is enabled:
      Name: CrashOnCtrlScroll
      Data Type: REG_DWORD
      Value: 1
   4. Exit Registry Editor & restart your computer.

Do not forget to set up a "complete memory dump" in the Control Panel/System/Advanced Tab/Startup and Recovery.

After you enable the feature, wait then Win7 will hang up and then you can generate a memory dump file by holding down the right CTRL key and pressing the SCROLL LOCK key two times. Please compress \Windows\Memory.dmp file (approx. 4GB) and upload it on our ftp.

Thanks.

pdk

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 02:35:17 AM »
Sorry, bit of a problem in trying to provide a memory dump. Didn't have time to deal with it initially so I left the computer as it was, with avast uninstalled. Someone in the family using my PC briefly installed AVG while I was away, upon realising that I didn't have a virus scanner installed; when I removed it (and ran their remover tool to make sure it was completed removed) and put avast back on, the previously mentioned login problem was no longer occurring. And, for further annoyance, my earlier System Restore points aren't working and I've no idea why, so I can't set my computer to before AVG was installed.

I've tried everything short of formatting the PC and starting from scratch to try and reproduce it and came up with nothing. If you reckon it's very likely to appear again after starting from fresh I can try it, but I'm not entirely sure when I'll have enough time spare to sort out a full format and reinstall properly - and it could have been down to how I installed other programs, which I don't remember the details of. If not, I'll keep an eye out for it happening again (especially if I have to format the PC at any point) and make sure I get a memory dump before any outside interference can get involved next time.

Either way, apologies for wasting anyone's time.