Author Topic: AshWebSV.exe Memory Write Error  (Read 6223 times)

ajeaper

AshWebSV.exe Memory Write Error
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
I am having some issues with Avast as of late. This isn't something that occurred after initial installation but simply something that happened recently. At boot up I receive an error telling me that ashwebsv.exe cannot be "written" into the memory. I took a screenshot of the error: http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2576/message.png

I googled it but didn't find anything relevant to my situation so I uninstalled Avast, restarted, reinstalled Avast, restarted, allowed a virus scan at boot up, and then... it came back.

Around the same time my security settings told me that my Avast might be "out of date", which was ridiculous since I had just updated it on both occasions (and restarted of course). I turned this setting off since it was simply a nuisance. I am not sure if that was relevant or not..

I also checked to see if it had anything to do with my firewall--and it did not. I ran SpyBOT to see if there was any spyware perhaps causing this problem, but it didn't find anything. I also cleaned up my registry (and looked at my start up registries) for anything that might conflict with it; I didn't find any problems--in fact, it wasn't listed amongst my start up registries (so then I assumed that it only initiates when I start surfing the web, which makes sense). But oddly, it sometimes shows even BEFORE I open up a web browser.

AT Start Up Running:
Teatimer (SpyBot)
SpyBot
Comodo Firewall
Windows Anti-Virus Monitoring: Disengaged (seems to not see it as being up-to-date)

TESTED ON: Firefox and IE

If anyone can offer any advice or help that would be great.

=======================================

Also, I did try and look at the logs but I wasn't sure which one to look at. There was a file called AshWebSv, a WS file, which did not contain any data. Since the error causes me to terminate the AshWebSv process I though I would try to reengage it. I double-clicked it and checked my processes and it returned. I went on a few web pages as well and an error pop up never showed up, but it did crash later THEN the error pop up appeared.
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3575/crasht.png
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:19:42 PM by ajeaper »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AshWebSV.exe Memory Write Error
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »
Are you using Comodo antivirus part of the suite?
Something is telling me that should be a conflict with any part of Comodo suite...

avast should be being correctly detected by Windows Security Center...
Sometimes, Windows Security Center stops recognizing your antivirus or firewall... So, check your system time and date and also http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534

The empty file is a temporary file created by WebShield, it's normal.
The best things in life are free.

ajeaper

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:43:06 AM »
I didn't INTENTIONALLY download it. The software says Comodo Firewall but the options listed when you right click the start up menu says ANTIVIRUS SECURITY (under configuration). I am pretty sure the actual anti virus software is separate though... So, to summarize: I DOWNLOADED ONLY THE FIREWALL AS FAR AS I KNOW. When you download it you're basically downloading both, but have the option of only installing one. I am a little confused then... and likely a comodo user could tell me, but regardless, it doesn't appear to be anything more than a firewall with too many options.

The virus protection thing in the Security Center is fixed. I was toying with the time/date thing and that caused that problem.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 05:30:30 AM »
"ANTIVIRUS SECURITY" is a rudge antivirus.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans and also rogue antivirus programs. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
The best things in life are free.

ajeaper

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:34:49 AM »
Okay, so I found out that I only installed the firewall, so it's not Comodo (in terms of multiple antiviruses running at the same time). I ran one of the spyware programs (MBAM) and it didn't find anything except a registry file that needed to be remove (but it wasn't infected or something). I'm at my wits end...

What on earth is causing this?

My other computer isn't having this problem and it has the same exact configurations and programs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:36:48 AM by ajeaper »

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 05:05:12 AM »
Okay, so I found out that I only installed the firewall, so it's not Comodo (in terms of multiple antiviruses running at the same time). I ran one of the spyware programs (MBAM) and it didn't find anything except a registry file that needed to be remove (but it wasn't infected or something). I'm at my wits end...

What on earth is causing this?

My other computer isn't having this problem and it has the same exact configurations and programs.

Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans and also rogue antivirus programs. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.

ajeaper

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:50:41 AM »
That... doesn't answer anything at all. Out of those three mentioned on MBAM seemed to not be something that could easily be a malware itself. I ran it, did a thorough scan, and again it didn't help at all.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 06:35:36 AM »
Try Spybot Search & Destroy, or even AdAware.

ajeaper

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 06:37:28 AM »
I think I already mentioned that I have SpyBot and checked it out--without avail. AdAware should not be installed on a system with SpyBot as the two will conflict with each other and cause problems. I am running AVG Anti Spyware right now and it isn't finding anything either. =\

ajeaper

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »
I take it no one has any idea what this could be then? If this isn't fixed I should probably install an alternative. I used to have AVG, but enjoyed Avast WAY WAY WAY more because, I don't know, I felt safer. But I can't keep something that keeps having errors. What do you guys think?

snazzzzzz

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:49:28 PM »
 Just putting my 2 cents in.

1. I would definitely NOT depend on AVG to catch anything in fact some nasties out there will render it useless and in my opinion any AV that can easily be rendered useless gives u a false sense of protection and not worth putting on ur machine.

2.  AV's AND Spyware apps. are O.K. to run in multiple as long as both are not running resident and in the case of spybot teatimer should be turned off (shutting the residency off) to allow a second spyware app. to run as a back up.  I have 3 running myself, spybot, spyware blaster, superantispyware the last 2 as backup and only used on demand.

3.  I would never use a registry cleaner as they are brainless cleaners and can and will delete a an app. that u will need later on down the road for functionality of another program  i.e. u hardly use a program but u used  cccleaner last month now u need to use that program u hardy use when u open it and use it it won't work and u wonder why, well  that registry cleaner was the culprit and u dont even know.  I speak from experience and will never use a regitry cleaner again its better to go into the registry and delete the program manually (but be very careful the registry is no mans land) this goes for norton removal tool it does not renove all norton/symantec apps u have to go to the registry and finish the job yourself.   start>run>type in regedit>edit> in the find what? box type in norton or symantec then delete it  before installing a new AV most wonder why their AV's are not workin correctly its because the remnants of norton is causing conflicts.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 12:20:48 AM »
Since you have long passed option of System Restore (I assume you have)
If not, then you could try System Restore

Otherwise---turn off System Restore and run boot scan

--right click icon in tray lower right hand corner of screen--choose Start avast
--when scanner comes on screen - rightclick body of scanner - choose Schedule boot time scan

To run boot scan ----set thorough---check archive---select move to chest ---check allow move
Reply post outcome to forum

Run HjT scan and reply post log to forum.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.