Author Topic: Keep getting error message  (Read 6846 times)

kathtalla

Keep getting error message
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:39:58 PM »
I'm using the Home edition and it worked fine until last week when the following message started popping up when a Trojan was identified:

"The system cannot find the file specified; cannot process [file location]"

When I click Ok, it just cycles back to the same message.  The only way I can remove it is to terminate the program.  Do I have a virus problem?  Need to uninstall and reinstall Avast?  Other?

Thanks

micky77

Re: Keep getting error message
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »
What was the name and location of the infected file, and what is the name and location of the file that is missing

Also post a HJT log,choose scan and save a logfile, copy/paste the results http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:02:33 PM by micky77 »

kathtalla

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »
What was the name and location of the infected file, and what is the name and location of the file that is missing

Also post a HJT log,choose scan and save a logfile, copy/paste the results http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

It's a file in a temp file folder with a lot of nonsense numbers and letters for a name.  I didn't attempt to write down the whole thing. In fact, it's such a long name, I can't even see the whole thing.  What is a HJT log and where would I find it?

Thanks for responding.

micky77

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »
Use the link in my last post,there you will be able to download HijackThis ( HJT) Run the program,( choose scan and save a log file )the scan takes literally seconds, the log will appear on the screen in notepad txt, right click on the log,choose,select all,this will highlight everything in blue, right click, and choose copy.Come back here, in your next post,right click and choose paste.

Also download, install these two programs,updatethem,then run 'quick' scans, then copy/paste the results of the scans

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

kathtalla

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
Use the link in my last post,there you will be able to download HijackThis ( HJT) Run the program,( choose scan and save a log file )the scan takes literally seconds, the log will appear on the screen in notepad txt, right click on the log,choose,select all,this will highlight everything in blue, right click, and choose copy.Come back here, in your next post,right click and choose paste.

Also download, install these two programs,updatethem,then run 'quick' scans, then copy/paste the results of the scans

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
I ran the 3 programs and saved the logs but am unable to paste the log files into this message for some reason. The Paste choice is missing even though I know I copied the file.  I even tried pasting using Ctrl + V but no dice.

Do I need to open the log files and then try copy/paste?

Jtaylor83

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:20:33 PM »
Can you attach your HJT log or upload it to RapidShare?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:24:25 PM by Jtaylor83 »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:25:13 PM »
Do I need to open the log files and then try copy/paste?
Yes. You may also need to use multipe posts to fit them all in.

micky77

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
You could also open your SAS and MBAM logs and save them to your desktop.Then in your  reply click on ' additional options ' browse to the saved files, and load them as attatchments.The log for HJT, will be in C/program files/trend micro/hijackthis/hijackthis log

kathtalla

micky77

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 07:22:08 AM »
kathtalla, had a brief look at your logs,will have another look later.Are you running two anti virus programs ? I see entries for symantec.( norton )

kathtalla

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »
Yes, I use Norton and Avast plus Spybot.  I'm glad someone can make sense of these logs.  They are a mystery to me.  I'll check back tomorrow; actually, later today. (It's 2:30 am here but I'm not an Internet addict. LOL).

micky77

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »
Having two AV's is a big no no.It can cause lots of problems,including error messages.Decide which one you want to keep,and remove the other.If you have paid for a new yearly subscription for Norton,it would make sense to keep it.If your subscription is due to expire,you may want to keep Avast.
Norton is notorious for leaving remnants,after removal,so they have a special removal tool available.

Regarding the logs,SAS found only cookies, nothing to worry about.
MBAM found some adware, and a few strange things.I would run MBAM again,this time fix the items, so they are moved to quarantine.
As for the HJT log, I see nothing alarming, although there are numerous entries for inbox.com ( toolbars and BHO'S ).I assume you actually want these things ?

Finally, I see no firewall in your log,are you using the windows firewall ?

It would be helpful if you said exactly what the error message is,also, to say what program removed the trojan, and the name and location of the infected file.Its not impossible that one AV has removed a file/s from the other.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:45:32 PM by micky77 »

kathtalla

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »
Having two AV's is a big no no.It can cause lots of problems,including error messages.Decide which one you want to keep,and remove the other.If you have paid for a new yearly subscription for Norton,it would make sense to keep it.If your subscription is due to expire,you may want to keep Avast.
Norton is notorious for leaving remnants,after removal,so they have a special removal tool available.

Regarding the logs,SAS found only cookies, nothing to worry about.
MBAM found some adware, and a few strange things.I would run MBAM again,this time fix the items, so they are moved to quarantine.
As for the HJT log, I see nothing alarming, although there are numerous entries for inbox.com ( toolbars and BHO'S ).I assume you actually want these things ?

Finally, I see no firewall in your log,are you using the windows firewall ?

It would be helpful if you said exactly what the error message is,also, to say what program removed the trojan, and the name and location of the infected file.Its not impossible that one AV has removed a file/s from the other.

I've never heard that bout it being a no-no using multiple AV software.  In fact, others have recommended as many as 3 different ones since none of them catches every virus. 

I will run MBAM again; thanks for that suggestion.  I use the Norton Internet Security firewall.  When I enabled Windows firewall, the two conflicted and I trust Norton more than I do Windows/Microsoft. 

micky77

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
When I enabled Windows firewall, the two conflicted

Same rule for AV's and firewalls, use only one of each

Whoever told you to run more than one AV, is talking rubbish. AV programs have resident protection, they are constantly watching every part of your pc. Having two,doing the same, will cause conflicts,errors and probably slow your pc to a crawl.Perhaps what they meant was to use several on demand scanners,such as online scanners,which only scan the pc when instructed.
Its ok to have several antispyware scanners,such as MBAM,SAS etc,if once again you use the free on demand ones,not the paid,  resident protection ones.
At the end of the day it your pc, but trust me you are mistaken
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:03:45 PM by micky77 »

kathtalla

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 04:44:30 AM »
I did uninstall Avast since I have about 11 months left on my Norton subscription.  When I re-ran MBAM, it didn't identify any problems and last night I ran Norton and no viruses were found.  Looks like problems solved.  Thanks so much.