Author Topic: Struggling with ODS.exe! HELP!  (Read 7641 times)

Trix13

Struggling with ODS.exe! HELP!
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »
I read through the forum, and I don't know how to get rid of this thing... I'm not too computer savvy, I have no anti-virus program.... but I had a spyware detector.... I don't really wanna go through all the bs of getting a Anti-virus, blah blah blah..... This has been answered b4, but now that you guys got a hold of it, maybe you can give a STRAIGHT answer...

Symptoms.. Stuttering in typing, and multiple ods.exe in the task manager..

micky77

Re: Struggling with ODS.exe! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:02:15 AM »
I love you americans,you never cease to amaze me  ::)
If you have no AV, why come here ?
Did it not occur to you to download Avast,or are you having  a laugh

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 12:03:58 AM »
Well, you should have an antivirus... it's not blah, blah, blah...

I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:26:27 AM »
Having no anti virus is like no having a door on your house. So that why a anti virus and anti spyware is to prevent the virus and spyware from entering on your house. And without firewall is like no having a key lock on your door of your house so that why its exist to prevent the hacker of entering and stealing your thing on your house.

I hope you understand what i mean by these words.

Edit : Your files correspond by this url http://www.prevx.com/filenames/2269721063684908477-X1/ODS.EXE.html So follow what Tech said.

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:28:07 AM by Mr.Agent »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 02:14:24 AM »
I don't really wanna go through all the bs of getting a Anti-virus, blah blah blah.....

Well now you have to go through all the bs of getting rid of a virus, which is much more complicated.
I think you have 'shot yourself in the foot' here

You should have gone with the AV

Mr.Agent
Now they are asking the police for help, after being robbed from their house with no door ;)

-Scott-

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:32:58 PM »
3. Use ...or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.

I downloaded Spywareterminator and ran it. It found 8 "risks" but could not remove them. After that I downloaded some other suggested tools  but none of them worked. They froze or shutdown. Then I googled for one of the "risks" and found out that they all belong to Bitdefender Antivirus. So this seems to be malware itself now. Bitdefender also stopped the updater of Spywareterminator as being harmful.

After I removed the program Anti-Malware worked again.
So please edit this passage or delete it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 07:52:39 PM »
Vincent,

the last post in this thread is (roughly) 6 months old.
Not much use to post/reply here.

Both Spyware teminator as well as Bitdefender are legitimate tools.
Neither is malware.

Yes, it can happen that one (or both) give a false positive and/or that they do not work well side to side.

There is no reason at all to edit/remove the post.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
After I installed Spywareterminator:

• The program listed all Bitdefender processes as malware.
  • My start menu stopped working after some minutes (didn't react to click or windows key).
  • Anti-Malware stopped working.
  • Bitdefender told me that the IP address the updater uses is bad.

After uninstalling everything worked again. I guess this is a bit more than a false positive. What other reason could there be for such behaviour?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 09:02:06 PM »
What other reason could there be for such behaviour?
https://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/2670/

It is not the first time Bitdefender and Spyware Terminator don't play well together.
Seems like it is going on and off for (roughly) 6 years! already.
http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18374

I would not use Spyware Terminator at all.
Get and use Mbam instead.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 09:21:57 PM »
Get and use Mbam instead.

Thanks for your opinion. I already installed Mbam, but as long as Spyware Terminator was installed, Mbam kind of froze at the second step. After removing Spyware Terminator everything is fine and there was no active malware on the system, however some malware files were found in temp directories.
Btw, avast! antirootkit does not work on my machine. Every time it states different reg entries as bad and then crashes after some time. It also doesn't seem to be supported any longer.