Author Topic: Avast icon no longer spinning  (Read 3253 times)

harvester

Avast icon no longer spinning
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:57:20 PM »
My Avast icon in the toolbar used to spin as it scanned the web pages I visited.
It has stopped spinning as of yesterday.
The main interface says everything is still running (webshield, etc.)

Is this something to be concerned about, or has a recent update changed the way the icon acts?

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Avast icon no longer spinning
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »
-= Check the settings via right click on the avast icon in taskbar --> Program Settings --> Appearance --> Animate icon when scanning

-= See to it that it is checked so that the avast icon will spin..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:07:29 AM »
Is ashWebSv.exe running in background in your computer?
The best things in life are free.

lorijryan

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
Just had this annoying issue myself a few days ago....ball stopped spinning.....

Sent email to customer support and I quickly received the following answer, and after trying for 2 hours to uninstall and re-install Avast! myself, using "Add/Remove" program utility; doing it the way Michal suggested, cleared the problem right up! (you must use the official Avast uninstallation program, because it's the way to remove all previous traces, unlike Add/Remove in Windows).

Here's the letter I got:

Hello Lori!

Thank you for contacting ALWIL Software company with your concerns.

My name is Michal and I am happy to assist you today.

Reinstall avast! completely, please. It seems to be the easiest solution of the problem.

Uninstall the version of avast! that's currently installed on your computer using our uninstall utility, that can be downloaded from this page:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Use it in safe mode of Windows - in this mode you don't need to disable the self-defense module. Here you can learn how to start Windows in safe mode:

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml
(I was able, however to not use "safe-mode", but just went into Avast! SETTINGS, and unchecked the "Self-Protection" module).

After using that tool, restart your computer.

Then download the latest version of avast! from this page:

http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

Install it with default values, i.e. do NOT change anything during the installation process, and everything should be OK again.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me again.
__
Best regards

Michal Zrubecky
ALWIL Software a.s.

Good luck; this fix works!!!......The techs at Avast! are a class act, and all I can say is: Avast ROCKS!!

Lori

PS: if you choose to not do the uninstall by going into safe-mode, then just turn off the "self-protection module";(this feature is what keeps malicious programs from uninstalling Avast without your permission) and here are the step by step directions how to do so:

1. Right click the Avast! "A" ball in your taskbar;
2. Click "Program Settins" from the menu there;
4. Click "Troubleshooting" on the left of the page;
5. Then click "Disable Avast! Self-Protection Module"!
6.  Then you are ready to go back to the Avast! uninstall link and proceed to do a CLEAN uninstall.....when through download the program again using the link that Michal provided above.......

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:55:33 AM by lorijryan »

harvester

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »
Thank you for the replies.

I turned the computer on this morning to check these messages, and it appears the icon has repaired itself!
It is possible that one of the kids tinkered with a setting, and upon reboot (full reboot, not standby) the setting got corrected.

Again, thanks, and I agreee AVAST rocks.  Very solid AV program.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »
I dont know but thank you lori for this reply its made me feel more secure and happy to see a letter like this from ALWIL.

And yes Avast! is really solid for its detection its got 99,2 %

Mr.Agent

lorijryan

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »
Glad to hear your program repaired itself, Harvester! (Dont you just love it when things fix themselves?)

You're very welcome Mr. Agent...I too was suprised to receive a personal letter (not just a scripted one), and although it says to allow a few days to receive a reply, in this case it took only a few hours. I also appreciated the detailed step by step instructions, being a rather non-tech person...was very easy to do correctly.

I feel Avast! treated me, a free customer, with all the concern and respect that they would offer to a paying customer, and they have certainly gained my loyalty, in that, when I finally can glean enough knowledge (I am trying) to start some sort of small internet business, Avast! will definitely be my choice (in a paid program) to protect that, as well.

Oh, and they also sent me another letter afterwards thanking me for letting them know my problem had been resolved......quite nice to know there are REAL people there listening to our issues!

I have never felt this secure with any of the numerous (free OR paid) AV programs I have used in the past...love the spinning ball, the way it stops you before-hand from going to an infected site, the LOUD (lol), yet reassuring way it alerts you to virus danger (ie:"virus found, yet no need to panic!"), easiest installation ever, HIGH detection rate, great customer service, great forum, etc, etc........

In short, there's nothing I don't like about Avast!.....a true gem in a perilous world....Thank you, Avast!

Lori

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:58:08 PM by lorijryan »