Author Topic: Avast linux - configuration and other general questions  (Read 5535 times)

paulhar

Avast linux - configuration and other general questions
« on: July 02, 2009, 10:07:19 AM »
Free Home version, installed via .deb method.

Installed and am using the cli reasonably well with the sparse documentation included and available on the product website. I'm switching from clamav and already have scripts I use to manually update the database, manually perform a scan on a weekly basis, etc.

I wanted to check there are no "automatic" components running - e.g. no kernel modules, no automatic scripts included to perform updates etc. Can anyone confirm this?

Is there a way to suppress scanning for certain file types - e.g. completely ignore .mp3, .jpg etc like you can with clam --excludes? The man page implies that the default -a scans everything and implies that -d is the opposite option?

What is the default for -p?

BTW - tried the GUI but it doesn't work correctly - half the widgets aren't visible as they overlap. I suspect it's taking my screen resolution and getting confused since my computer is an EEEPC.

romi66

Re: Avast linux - configuration and other general questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »
 ???
I can't find, how I can begin a new question about installation Avast4Linux Home (TAR GZ package), so I write my please for Help here...
I use Linspire v. 6 Linux version, and I can't install Avast on it.
I start installation with Archiver & Wizard, but I've got this error message:
"Cannot find the script configure".
Before of that, my Wizard ask me for the arguments - but I don't know what I can write there... So I've lived this windows -empty...
Please, if somebody know how I can solute this problem, help me!
Also I please detailed script to start installation from terminal commands...
Romi.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:04:42 PM by romi66 »

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Avast linux - configuration and other general questions
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »
???
I can't find, how I can begin a new question about installation Avast4Linux Home (TAR GZ package), so I write my please for Help here...
I use Linspire v. 6 Linux version, and I can't install Avast on it.
I start installation with Archiver & Wizard, but I've got this error message:
"Cannot find the script configure".
Before of that, my Wizard ask me for the arguments - but I don't know what I can write there... So I've lived this windows -empty...
Please, if somebody know how I can solute this problem, help me!
Also I please detailed script to start installation from terminal commands...
Romi.

Hallo,
don't use wizards, just execute the mkinstall script (of course, first ungzip and untar the package). Installer is pretty verbose, and will tell you the necessary details (and the rest, is described in the man pages).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)